[UC] January 20 - A Happy Ending for Only 8 Bucks? - 1/19/05

  • editor@urbanconservancy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2005
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      January 19, 2005

      In this issue:

      *You're Invited!
      *News Roundup
      *Readers Write
      *Upcoming Events
      ---------------------------
      YOU'RE INVITED!

      The Urban Conservancy would like to extend a special invitation
      to our readers to our first-ever benefit concert and film premiere
      at the Dragon's Den, 435 Esplanade Avenue on January 20,
      beginning at 9:00 PM. At 9:30 and 11:00 PM, there will be a
      premiere showing of the film, "Unbroken Line of History:
      Faubourg Marigny." This short film is the second by Sean
      Gerowin and the Urban Conservancy's Edward Melendez. Their
      first film "Heat" was shown at Atlanta's Downstream Film Festival
      and had its New Orleans opening at the Contemporary Arts
      Center in 2003. The new film traces some of the elements
      that created the unique neighborhood on the other side of the
      French Quarter and some of the challenges it faces in the
      present day. The film has a running time of 15 minutes, a
      perfect set break for Saaraba.

      Between showings of the film, OffBeat Magazine's Best Emerging
      World/Latin Band nominee Saaraba will be playing. Through a
      shared musical philosophy that emphasizes equal creative
      contribution from each member, Saaraba has melded several
      different influences into a unique coherent sound. Flowing seamlessly
      from Caribbean influenced reggae and ska to down-home dirty New
      Orleans funk to odd-meter rockers, Saaraba take pride in their ability
      to lead their audience on a musical journey whose scenery changes
      enough to never get boring. You can learn more about the band and
      hear some of their music at: http://www.saaraba.com/

      The Dragon's Den is located upstairs at 435 Esplanade Ave. Doors
      open at 9:00pm, and donations of $8 or more will be accepted at the
      door. Your support helps the Urban Conservancy continue its many
      programs and services, including Stay Local, a program to support
      locally owned and managed businesses.

      We hope you can show your support for the Urban Conservancy
      and locally grown music and film.

      ---------------------------

      TAKE IT TO THE NETWORK

      If you are reading this, then you know the power of
      organization and communication.

      Your neighborhood or other group can now take it online!
      The Urban Conservancy supports democratic control of
      neighborhoods by their residents. A critical part
      of democracy is the open sharing of communication.
      The Internet is a part of that communication process
      and can be a way of quickly and inexpensively sharing
      information related to your neighborhood.

      The Urban Conservancy has learned a number of lessons
      from our website and e-mail list which received the
      Gambit award for Best Activist Use of the Internet in
      2002. Now we want to share that knowledge with
      neighborhood groups and other organizations
      throughout the city for a price that is more
      economical than almost anywhere else.

      Learn More:
      http://www.ucno.org/projects/tech_training.html

      ---------------------------

      NEWS ROUNDUP
      Art, News and Culture of the City

      *Sacramento County Backs Housing for Poor
      *Good Design Keeps the Doctor Away
      *Shopkeepers Are Antidote to Big Boxes
      *Americans Discover Charms of Living Near Mass Transit
      *CDC Grant Using Community Gardening as an Anti-Obesity Strategy

      Read them here:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup011905.html

      ---------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest assets. Respond to us at
      editor@...

      ---------------------------

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourself out.
      Be as I am-a reluctant enthusiastÂ… a part time crusader,
      a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves
      and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough
      to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it.
      While you can. While it is still there. So get out there
      and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder
      and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the
      mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet
      sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and
      contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely,
      mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves,
      keep your brain in your head and your head firmly
      attached to your body, the body active and alive, and
      I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet
      victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people
      with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes
      hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this:
      you will outlive the bastards.
      -Edward Abbey