David Cobb in New Orleans/Bywater This Friday!

  • Jason Neville
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2004
      Greens/Progressives/Neighbors/Friends:

      David Cobb, the Green Party 2004 Presidential Nominee, will be spending the day in New Orleans this Friday July 30th.

      The best way to get to know David and to ask him your questions-- as well as to have a great time and meet other progressives in New Orleans-- is to come to our meet-n-greet on Friday at 7PM, at 833 Poland Ave (Lookout Inn) in the Bywater. There will be free food and music, as well as live music by local street musicians David and Rosalyn. We will also have a "Why I Switched to Green" presentation by locals who have changed their voter registration to "Green" now that the Greens are on the verge of major-party status here in Louisiana.

      Here's the rest of his schedule for the day-- be sure to tune in to the radio and television shows and call in with your support or comments for David!

      And as always, get the latest from www.VoteCobb.org or www.LAGreens.org (or call New Orleans scheduler Jason Neville: 338-3683)

      **Friday July 30th:

      1PM: David is on the "Ringside Politics" radio show with host Jeff Crouere (690 AM). Call in number: 260-9690

      3-5PM Newspaper interviews

      7PM: House Party at 833 Poland Ave with free food and live music by David and Rosalyn

      9PM: "Speak Now" television show with hosts CC and Rock. Cox Channel 8-- call in number 483-3336 or 483-3338

      David Cobb is the Green Party candidate for President in 2004. He served as the General Counsel for the Green Party of the United States (www.gp.org) until declaring his candidacy and was the Green Party of Texas (GPTX) candidate for Attorney General in 2002.

      Raised in a small shrimping village in San Leon, Texas, David worked as a construction worker for several years before attending college. He saw up close and personal how the system is designed to prevent working class people from getting ahead; how working hard usually just got you calluses. Waiting tables to put himself through college, he graduated from the University of Houston Law School in 1993. The grandson of a Baptist preacher, David received awards in Moot Court and Mock Trial competitions, served on the Law Review and worked in the Public Interest Law Clinic.

      He had a successful law practice until early 2000, when Ralph Nader asked him to manage the Green Party effort in Texas. He coordinated the ballot access drive in Texas that collected over 76,000 signatures in 75 days. When he ran for Attorney General there were 4 local chapters of the GPTX. At the conclusion of his campaign, there were 26 chapters.

      David lectures and facilitates "Rethinking Corporations/ Rethinking Democracy" seminars and workshops across the country, which explore the social, legal and historical context of how corporations have become the dominant institution of our times. These seminars focus on how corporations have become unelected governing institutions, and how we can provoke (and win) a nonviolent democratic revolution in response.

      He serves on the Steering Committee of Democracy Unlimited of Humboldt County (www.duhc.org) which is a citizen's group dedicated to contesting and challenging the illegitimate corporate usurpation of our Constitution and our government.