[UC] UPDATE --7/14/04--

  • editor@urbanconservancy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2004
      The Urban Conservancy update is taking the week off. We will publish our
      next update on July 21, 2004.

      In the meantime, if you are in New Orleans, we hope you will check out the
      free film "Town Under Siege," which will be shown as part of the Moral
      Decisions series on Wednesday, July 21 in Bobet Hall 212, Loyola
      University at 8:00 PM.

      Town Under Siege

      This one-hour documentary is about a struggle between a tiny Louisiana town
      and one of the biggest industries on earth - oil. Every day trucks and
      barges dump tons of oil field waste into giant open pits in a waste disposal
      site in Grand Bois, Louisiana. When parents found their children were
      getting sick with symptoms the local doctors couldn't explain, they hired a
      lawyer and began to fight for their lives. The documentary was named by TIME
      Magazine one of the ten best television shows of 1997. (56 min.)

      >From the description:
      "The video focuses on environmental issues in a community not far from
      New Orleans. It offers insights into corporate policy, EPA policymaking, the
      environmental awareness level of the Louisiana State Legislature and Gov.
      Mike Foster, and the ability of a small community unite in a struggle to
      preserve its existence and way of life."

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.urbanconservancy.org

      The culture has moved to the point where I find myself in the far left
      without having gone there. I still feel like I'm putting up my father's
      old Indiana farmer's values. I think I'm a conservative. I don't think
      these guys that call themselves "conservatives" really are; these guys are
      high rollers and plungers and bet-the-farm-on-slender-odds guys; they
      ain't conservatives. I think a conservative is somebody who cares about
      conserving the planet and the air and the water and the sky and the sun.
      It is something mean to say that mankind has f******d up the sunshine.
      -Stephen Gaskin