[UC] UC UPDATE --6/30/04-- Plugging Leaks

  • editor@urbanconservancy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2004
      *The Urban Conservancy Weekly Update*
      June 30, 2004

      In this issue:

      *Plug Some Leaks
      *Join Us

      ----------------------------
      PLUG SOME LEAKS - IN OUR LOCAL ECONOMY

      When it comes to economic development, we
      tend to spend a lot of time figuring out
      how to attract money into an area, such as
      funding programs or offering training services.
      But this is only half of the equation when it
      comes to lifting socially excluded neighborhoods
      out of poverty.

      The other half requires us to build linkages in our
      community to keep the money that we do have from
      leaking out of the area straight away. The solutions
      here require the community to come together to link
      up the enterprises in the area, taking advantage of
      the community's resources and making more strategic
      decisions about how to spend money entering the local economy.

      Learn more and access free resources:
      http://www.pluggingtheleaks.org/

      ----------------------------
      JOIN US

      The Urban Conservancy invites you to become a member
      and receive:

      *The Quarterly newsletter, mailed to your home or office
      *Copies of all reports and analyses issued by the Urban
      Conservancy
      *A voice in shaping the Urban Conservancy's research
      program and priorities
      *Discounted rental rates at The Darkroom, a public
      center for the photographic arts.
      (www.neworleansdarkroom.com)

      The Urban Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
      organization and all membership contributions
      to the Urban Conservancy are tax deductible.

      Learn more:
      http://www.ucno.org/join/
      ----------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest asset. Respond to us at
      editor at ucno.org

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      However beautiful the strategy,
      you should occasionally look at the results.
      -Winston Churchill