HB 1605 passed State Senate today!!!

  • Leenie ****
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2004
      Great news everyone!!!

      Greens in Louisiana are closer to obtaining ballot access and party recognition.

      Today-Louisiana HB 1605 overwhelmingly passed in the State Senate 35-2.

      It now goes back to the State House for concurrence. It previously passed the State House 61-35. If the House gives it a nod, it will go to Governor Blanco. She can either sign it into law or kill it. If Blanco signs it into law, it will become effective January 1, 2005.

      The current law in Louisiana requires that a party must have at least 5% of all registered voters in order to be recognized or receive 5% of presidential electors.

      If HB 1605 is passed in it's present form, Greens in Louisiana would need to either:

      1) certify 1000 registered Green voters with the Louisiana Secretary of State 90 days prior to an election qualifying period (the earliest available qualifying period would be February 9-11, 2005)
      and pay a $1000 registration fee and must have a registered member of the Green party qualify as a candidate in a primary election for any period of four consecutive years after we receive state recognition

      or, we can gain recognition in Louisiana if

      2) a Green candidate for presidential elector receives at least five percent of the votes cast in Louisiana for presidential electors in the last presidential election and we can maintain recognition if we repeat this within 4 consecutive years

      or if

      3) a Green candidate for any statewide office receives at least five percent of the votes cast for the statewide office in any primary or general election and we can maintain recognition if we repeat this within 4 consecutive years

      #3 is an important option for us because in the 2003 elections, we had 3 candidates run for statewide offices. Jason Neville received 6.1%, Les Evenchick received 11.4% and Dan Thompson received 8%. It is highly likely that we can break the 5% barrier in another election for statewide office which will exempt us from having to pay Louisiana the $1000 registration fee-much needed organizing money!

      So, please stay tuned for upcoming action alerts regarding HB 1605 as we are almost there!!!!

      Peace & thanks for the support!

      Leenie Halbert
      Elections Coordinator
      Greater New Orleans Green Party