[UC] UPDATE 06/09/04

  • editor@urbanconservancy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2004
      -------------------------------
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      June 9, 2004

      In this issue:

      *News Roundup
      *Upcoming Events

      ---------------------------
      TAKE IT TO THE NETWORK

      If you are reading this, then you know the power of
      organization and communication.

      Your neighborhood or other group can now take it online!
      The Urban Conservancy supports democratic control of
      neighborhoods by their residents. A critical part
      of democracy is the open sharing of communication.
      The Internet is a part of that communication process
      and can be a way of quickly and inexpensively sharing
      information related to your neighborhood.

      The Urban Conservancy has learned a number of lessons
      from our website and e-mail list which received the
      Gambit award for Best Activist Use of the Internet in
      2002. Now we want to share that knowledge with
      neighborhood groups and other organizations
      throughout the city for a price that is more
      economical than almost anywhere else.

      Learn More:
      http://www.ucno.org/projects/tech_training.html

      ----------------------------
      NEWS ROUNDUP

      *Rebuilding America's First Suburbs
      *Chewing The Fat On Obesity
      *Wal-Mart Shopping for Subsidies?
      *Can St. Louis Survive in the Post-Industrial Era?
      *Price Problem Hits Home

      Read them here:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup060904.html
      ----------------------------
      JOIN US

      The Urban Conservancy invites you to become a member
      and receive:

      *The Quarterly newsletter, mailed to your home or office
      *Copies of all reports and analyses issued by the Urban
      Conservancy
      *A voice in shaping the Urban Conservancy's research
      program and priorities
      *Discounted rental rates at The Darkroom, a public
      center for the photographic arts.
      (www.neworleansdarkroom.com)

      The Urban Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
      organization and all membership contributions
      to the Urban Conservancy are tax deductible.

      Learn more:
      http://www.ucno.org/join/
      ----------------------------
      UPCOMING EVENTS

      JUNE 12
      Southern Food and Beverage Museum
      Preview Exhibit
      Raise a Glass and Come Celebrate a "Toast
      of New Orleans" at New Orleans City Centre,
      1st Floor, 1400 Poydras Street
      11 AM. - Exhibit Preview
      Noon - Ribbon Cutting
      For more information call 504-524-3342 or
      visit www.southernfood.org
      ----------------------------

      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest asset. Respond to us at
      editor at ucno.org

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      Moral cowardice that keeps us from speaking our
      minds is as dangerous to this country as irresponsible
      talk. The right way is not always the popular and easy
      way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true
      test of moral character.
      -Margaret Chase Smith