[UC] UPDATE 6/2/04 --Fun on the River Followup--

  • editor@urbanconservancy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      -------------------------------
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      June 2, 2004

      In this issue:

      *Fun on the River-Followup
      *News Roundup
      *Readers Write
      *Upcoming Events
      *Job Opening

      ----------------------------
      FUN ON THE RIVER-FOLLOWUP

      Riverfront Authority Bill to be Yanked

      "A bill that proposed to create a citywide authority
      to oversee riverfront development in New Orleans
      will be withdrawn next week, the bill's sponsor said."

      http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf?/base/money-1/1085814005223890.xml

      Read the original article here:
      http://www.ucno.org/issues/riverfront_fun.html

      ----------------------------
      NEWS ROUNDUP

      *Kenyans Buy Into Slum Plan
      *Gotta Go Somewhere
      *Nobody Neutral on Wal-Mart Proposals
      *Farming Inside Cities
      *One Man's Musing on a Billboard

      Read them here:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup060204.html
      ----------------------------
      JOIN US

      The Urban Conservancy invites you to become a member
      and receive:

      *The Quarterly newsletter, mailed to your home or office
      *Copies of all reports and analyses issued by the Urban
      Conservancy
      *A voice in shaping the Urban Conservancy's research
      program and priorities
      *Discounted rental rates at The Darkroom, a public
      center for the photographic arts.
      (www.neworleansdarkroom.com)

      The Urban Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
      organization and all membership contributions
      to the Urban Conservancy are tax deductible.

      Learn more:
      http://www.ucno.org/join/
      ----------------------------
      READERS WRITE

      Long-term streetcar plan?

      Check it out:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/letters060204.html
      ----------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest asset. Respond to us at
      editor at ucno.org

      ---------------------------
      JOB OPENING

      ArtEgg Studios has a job opening for a part
      time handyperson, superintendent -flexible hours-
      up to 20 per week. Must have references, the
      ability to work independently and to be task
      oriented. Basic clean-up for this large art,
      storage and technology building. Good people skills
      required. Contact 504-822-4002 or fax resume
      504-822-4066. Interviews will be scheduled the
      weekend of June 4/5/6. www.artegg.com

      ---------------------------
      UPCOMING EVENTS

      JUNE 4 and 5
      Douglass Community Coalition, Community Labor
      United, and Jim Dunn Center for Anti-Racist
      Community Organizing (an initiative of The
      People's Institute for Survival and Beyond)
      invite you to two important Leadership Forums

      HISTORY AS A TOOL FOR ORGANIZING
      A conversation with Dr. Michael Washington,
      Professor of Afro-American Studies, Northern
      Kentucky Univ. Core Trainer/Organizer, The
      People's Institute -- Friday, June 4, 2004,
      Noon - 3:00 p.m. 7166 Crowder Blvd, Suite 100,
      New Orleans

      and

      A CONVERSATION FOR POSSIBILITY: FREEDOM SCHOOLS
      THEN AND NOW
      1965 Freedom School organizers Bob Moses,
      Curtis Muhammad, John O'Neal, Ed Brown and
      others talking with contemporary Freedom
      School Organizers, Students, Parents -- Saturday,
      June 5, 2004, Noon - 3:00 p.m. Frederick A.
      Douglass High School 3820 St. Claude Avenue
      (use Pauline Street entrance)

      This, in addition to a much needed conversation,
      is a celebration of the "40th Anniversary of the
      Freedom Schools." Both events open to all justice
      loving people! A light lunch will be provided
      both days.

      For more information call Reggie Lawson at 945-9557
      or Robert "Kool Black" Horton at 241-7472.

      JUNE 9
      BGR AWARDS 2004

      The Bureau of Governmental Research will present
      the BGR Excellence in Government Awards 2004 on
      Wednesday, June 9, at a breakfast hosted by the
      Fairmont New Orleans Hotel. This annual program
      makes cash awards of up to $1,000 to government
      employees who have worked harder, longer and
      taken risks to improve government's service to
      the community. The awards will be presented in
      three categories: the Keller Award, sponsored by
      Hibernia National Bank, the BellSouth Lifetime
      Achievement Award, and the Latter & Blum Merit
      Award. For more information, visit BGR's website,
      www.bgr.org, or call BGR at 525-4152, ext. 16.

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      All the evidence suggests that we have consistently
      exaggerated the contributions of technological genius
      and underestimated the contributions of natural resources.
      We need [...] something we lost in our haste to remake
      the world: a sense of limits, an awareness of the
      importance of earthÂ’s resources.

      -Stewart Udall