Help bring progressive news coverage to the NOLA area

  • Mooey Muey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004

      I have watched "Democracy Now!" for over three years on Dish Network and would like everyone in New Orleans (with cable) to be able to view this wonderful show. Help bring progressive coverage to New Orleans!

      Thanks,

      Vicky Marshall-Blair

      BRING DEMOCRACY NOW! TO NEW ORLEANS!

      ***PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY WITHIN NEW ORLEANS***
      ***FORWARD TO LOCAL LISTSERVS, FRIENDS AND GROUPS***

      We have a remarkable opportunity to broadcast the award-winning, independent, daily TV news hour Democracy Now! in New Orleans five days a week.

      All we need is your help, now.

      Elton Jones of NOATV says he will air Democracy Now! 5 days a week if he hears from 200 members of the community now. (DN! has been on 1 day a week but even that may not continue.)

      Email Elton Jones at New Orleans Access Television at ejones@... and cc: outreach@.... Tell Mr. Jones that you want to see Democracy Now! five days a week during a regular time slot. Please note that you live in the New Orleans area. If you call Mr. Jones at 504-483-3300, please also email outreach@... and tell us about your call.

      WHAT IS DEMOCRACY NOW!?
      Hosted by internationally acclaimed journalist and best-selling author of "The Exception to the Rulers," Amy Goodman, Democracy Now! brings award-winning, independent news to over 225 radio and television stations in North America. The daily, live, one-hour program combines the cutting edge of a breaking news program and a magazine format that allows for extended discussions and debates.

      * " When [NPR] sounds as safe as a glass of warm milk, "Democracy Now!' retains a jagged and intriguing edge." - Washington Post
      * "The only voice of truth on the radio..." Michael Moore.
      * To learn more about Democracy Now! and listen to any show go to
      http://www.democracynow.org.

      WHY ACT NOW
      On May 26th, The Times-Picayune published a column entitled "Democracy Now! fans put to test" (http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-2/108555479980370.xml). In the article, also available below, NOATV director of operations Mr. Jones said "I think it would help our overall efforts if I could get a feel from the New Orleans community about whether [Democracy Now!] is a show that they would like to see on their access channel."

      In this time of war and elections it is more critical than ever for people around the US to hear the independent news that Democracy Now! broadcasts. Democracy Now! is the only national TV news show free of all corporate underwriting.

      CONTACT ELTON JONES AT NOATV NOW
      Contact Mr. Elton Jones at NOATV to express your interest in Democracy Now! Remember that your comments are more likely to be taken seriously if you maintain a polite tone. Mr. Jones welcomes your input.

      Phone: 504-483-3300
      Email: ejones@...

      NOATV
      1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
      New Orleans, LA 70125

      THE ARTICLE FROM THE TIMES-PICAYUNE

      From: http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-2/108555479980370.xml

      'Democracy Now!' fans put to test
      Wednesday, May 26, 2004
      Lolis Eric Elie

      Until recently, "Democracy Now!" came to New Orleans television viewers in a most unusual way. Now, it doesn't come to us at all.

      The show is a national, independent news program based in New York, and it's seen and heard on more than 225 radio and television stations across the country. Hosted by Amy Goodman, the show is listener-supported and accepts no advertising.

      It airs news from a decidedly progressive perspective, and generally features stories that get only scant attention in the mainstream media. For example, stories featured on Monday's show included "Sudan: 350,000 May Die in Worsening Crisis"; "Gen. Zinni: We 'Screwed Up' in Iraq"; and "1,700 Cops & Firefighters Sue NYC Over 9/11 Health Concerns."

      Anne Sobol, a Mid-City resident, asked stations in the New Orleans area to carry "Democracy Now!" When none demonstrated interest, she made provisions to air the show herself.

      She had been taping the show from DISH TV every Thursday morning and delivering it to New Orleans Access Television.

      Only five channels
      Cox Cable New Orleans has several channels dedicated to community television shows. Until recently, it ran Sobol's VHS tapes of "Democracy Now!" on Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. But for most of the summer, she will be out of the city.

      "We've actually spoken to 'Democracy Now!' to see how we can continue to get the programming from them," said Elton Jones, director of operations for NOATV. To continue to show the program, Jones said, the station would have to rethink its programming structure.

      NOATV has five channels. Channel 6 is dedicated to government meetings and unedited propaganda from politicians. Channel 8 is used largely by the public school system. Channel 76 is dedicated to higher education programming. Channels 77 and 78 carry community access programming.

      "Ten new producers come into the system each month, and there are only a certain amount of hours in the day and only five channels," Jones said. "Only two of them are available for community access."

      " 'Democracy Now!' prefers you to air their newscast on a daily basis," Jones said. "At present we don't have any producers in our public access system that enjoy that live Monday-through-Friday access to airwaves."

      Taking the pulse
      Because NOATV has a mandate to serve the community, Jones is hoping to take the pulse of the community in deciding the future of "Democracy Now!" on his channel.

      "I think it would help our overall efforts if I could get a feel from the New Orleans community about whether this is a show that they would want to see on their access channel," Jones said.

      Comments about "Democracy Now!" should be mailed to NOATV, 1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway, New Orleans, 70125; called in to (504) 483-3300; or e-mailed to ejones@....
      Lolis Eric Elie can be reached at lelie@... or (504) 826-3330.

      Do you Yahoo!?