NAACP anti-David Duke Rally at Treme Center

  • Bart Everson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2004

      NAACP anti-David Duke Rally at Treme Center
      POLICAMP
      NAACP, ERASE, AALP and others to Rally Against David Duke)
      Treme Center will hostWednesday, May 26, 2004
      in this issue Treme Center to host NAACP Unity Rally (new location) European Americans Conference . . . NAACP Contact

      UPDATE!

      Last week we reported that local attorney and NAACP Membership Committee Chairman Danatus N. King was outraged that former KKK leader David Duke has chosen New Orleans as the location for his planned national convocation of the International European American Unity and Leadership Conference. The NAACP have been joined in their efforts by the ERACE organization, the African American Leadership Project, the Urban League, C3, Muhammad Mosque #46, and the LeeAnne Knot Violence Against Women Prevention Project (a consortium of Tulane/SUNO/UNO).

      Organizers promise that "this is going to be a great, fun, and FREE event for the whole family. The perfect way to spend part of your Memorial Day weekend." Previously announced as being held at Armstrong Park, the location has been changed.

      Treme Center to host NAACP Unity Rally (new location)

      The Treme Center (corner of St. Philip and North Villere at the edge of Armstrong Park) has been confirmed as the site of the Unity Rally. King said that arrangements were made with the help of Orleans Parish School Board Member Dr. Elliot Willard and former "Civil Rights Freedom Rider" and Tam & Fan leader Jerome Smith. The Rally is scheduled for this Saturday, May 29, 2004, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

      They have scheduled a host of speakers and entertainers. Several local church choirs have also been invited to participate. King said that "the New Orleans branch of the NAACP is organizing a Unity Rally to show our opposition to the racist and divisive ideals expressed by the organizations participating in the Duke event.

      King says that "it is no coincidence that Duke chose the City of New Orleans, and chose this time that we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education, to hold his national convocation. . . I encourage you to visit his website (www.DavidDuke.com) to see the scope of what he has planned. If we don't stand up now, we have no one but ourselves to blame for the consequences."

      Ironically, Treme happens to be the oldest community in the United States for "free-people-of- color."

      European Americans Conference . . .

      Leaders from around the world are gathering in New Orleans on May 28-30 to welcome home the best known spokesman in the world for the rights and heritage of European Americans: David Duke. In his first major appearance since being imprisoned in the federal gulag, former Representative David Duke (R- La), will be the honored feature speaker at the Conference in New Orleans.

      According to Duke's website "the Unity and Leadership conference is about setting an effective agenda for the restoration of our rights (European Americans), freedoms and heritage. This historic meeting may well be the most important gathering of the 21st Century." Duke's website www.DavidDuke.com encourage supporters to "attend the International European American Unity and Leadership Conference in New Orleans, this weekend on Friday, Saturday and Sunday May 28-30 (Memorial Day Weekend).

      NAACP Contact

      For more information on the Unity Rally, Danatus may be reached at:

      Danatus N. King & Associates

      234 Loyola Avenue, Suite 604, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112

      (504) 528-9700 telephone

      (504) 528-9741 facsimile

      dkingsr@...

      ERASE
      The ERASE Initiative is a national program that challenges racism in public schools and promotes racial justice and academic excellence for all students. The program is coordinated by the Applied Research Center, a public policy, education, and research institute that emphasizes issues of race and social change.

      ERASE focuses explicitly on racism in order to expand public awareness of institutional inequality. ERASE employs a multi-faceted approach to social change combining community organizing, participatory research, interactive trainings, media advocacy, and policy development.

      Quick Links...

      Forward email

      This email was sent to bpeverso@..., by vincent@...