Meeting Minutes: GNOGP General Membership 2/29/04

  • Joe Wagner
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
      GNOGP General Membership Meeting Minutes 2/29/04

      I. Announcements

      HUMANITARIAN DELEGATION TO COLUMBIAN COMMUNITIES (Liza Smith):
      -delegation needs sponsors: people to advertise via listservs, etc.,
      and possibly send a delegate w/the mission. Delegate would
      participate in media outreach upon return to the US.
      -Handout: Sponsor Sign-Up
      -Liza needs reply re intentions by mid-April.
      -MOTION: This item to be placed on the agenda of the next General
      Membership meeting. Passed unanimously.

      ALTERNATIVE CURRENCY IN N.O. (John Clark)
      -Work on creating a local alternative currency system (similar to
      the Ithaca Bucks exchange system) is currently underway. More info
      as it becomes available.

      SECOND LINE FOR PEACE (Malik Rahim)
      -Malik Rahim and the Antiviolence Coordinating Committee will
      sponsor a "Second Line for Peace" during the first week of
      July,
      which will call attention to issues such as public housing, prison
      reform, and economic development.
      Antiviolence CC meets at the Ashe Center, 1712 Oretha Castle Haley

      INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY MARCH 8 (Cammie Brewer)
      - Café Brasil event to be held in celebration of this day.

      9/11 VISIBILITY (Brad Mayeux)
      -Brad created an email list - "New Orleans for Truth" - which
      will
      promote awareness of 9/11 issues.

      PROTEST STAR WARS AT STENNIS (Ben Gordon)
      WHAT: Protest to coincide with the transport of SDI ("Star
      Wars")
      components at Stennis
      WHEN: April 2 from 3-5 PM
      WHERE: Stennis Space Center, Mississippi
      For transportation or more info call 522-3751
      Sponsored by Pax Christi

      II. Reports

      TREASURER
      Balance 1-24 $928.24
      Receipts 275.00
      Expenses 91.00
      Balance 2-29 $1112.24

      ELECTIONS COORDINATOR
      Leenie Halbert stated that candidate search for November elections
      is still in progress. One individual has expressed interest in
      running for Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriff as a Green.

      TRANSPORTATION COORDINATOR
      Jason told us that the transportation element of the New Orleans
      Master Plan will be presented for final approval on Tuesday March
      9th at 1:30PM. This is the closure to over a year of public
      meetings and revisions.

      The current draft can be viewed online at www.new-orleans.la.us
      (then click departments>city planning>master plan elements)

      III. Old Business

      GREEN PARTY OF LOUISIANA CAUCUS
      WHEN: Sun. Apr. 18th. 10 AM-4 PM. WHERE: Bldg. across from Student
      Union. Exact location TBA.
      New Mexico Green Carol Miller has expressed interest in attending.
      *Online summary the caucus method to be used:
      http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/polit/damy/BeginnningReading/howprwor.h
      tm
      -Caucus Method:
      Caucus will unfold in a two-part process: (1) Attendees will
      organize themselves in terms of candidates or positions (e.g., safe-
      states vs. all-states). (2) actual election of delegates. Caucus
      participants need not endorse a particular candidate, but instead
      may endorse a particular platform or philosophy.
      -Membership credentials for delegates:
      Members of GPL or GNOGP are eligible to participate in the caucus.
      Or, one can present an LA Voter Registration card which shows the
      individual's party affiliation as being Independent/Other. The
      individual can at that point fill out a GPL membership card.
      -Concept behind caucus: in theory, votes will result in proportional
      representation of what Greens want. (e.g., safe-states strategy).
      Some people will be going there with a mandate - a particularly
      delineated position; other delegates will go there with the stated
      intention of voting for a particular candidate. This system will
      provide the most proportional outcome to the Convention.
      -Les Evenchick asked: "What if some of the delegates who are
      elected
      can't actually attend the Convention?" Jason replied that
      votes can
      be proxied; delegates who are in attendance at the Convention can
      vote by proxy for the delegates who weren't able to attend.
      -Transportation will be provided from here to the Caucus: Details to
      be worked out at next month's general membership meeting.
      -Videos of past Green conventions: Leenie contacted Minnesota
      Greens about this but hasn't yet received a response. Julie
      Whitbeck states that at least one caucus video can be found online.
      Followup at next Coordinating Committee meeting.

      IV. New Business

      ADVOCATES FOR LOUISIANA HEALTHCARE (ALPH) ENDORSEMENT
      MOTION: That GNOGP endorse ALPH, send rep (Alejandro Lurati) to ALPH
      meetings. Motion passes 11-0 with two abstentions.

      GPL CAUCUS STATE TOUR EVENT IN NEW ORLEANS
      Jason suggests doing this the weekend of March 25-27th.

      DAVID COBB VISIT
      MOTION: GNOGP to invite David Cobb as well as other Green
      Presidential candidates to speak on March 28. Candidates will be
      invited to send a representative a video, or written statement in
      lieu of attendance. Mr. Cobb will get 30 minutes, including Q&A
      session, to speak. GNOGP will promote the event and have a table at
      it; Mr. Cobb's supporters will be responsible for organizing and
      logistics.
      Motion passes: 9 for, 1 against, 2 abstaining.
      GNOGP rep to contact local Cobb campaign organizer Lynn Serpi (ph)
      and notify her of this proposal.

      FORUM ON HAITIAN SITUATION
      Les Evenchick proposed that GNOGP should organize an forum on the
      Haitian crisis.
      MOTION: That GNOGP organize a forum on Haiti for
      educational/informational purposes.
      Motion defeated 1 for, 11 against, 2 abstaining.
      MOTION: to defer Haitian issue to CC meeting. Motion passed.
      Cammie Brewer to form an ad-hoc committee to report to the
      Coordinating Committee. Ad-hoc cmte will assess resources available
      for this event, find someone to take primary responsibility for
      organizing it.
      EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT FOR ELECTIONS
      -Julie Whitbeck passed out handout ("GNOGP '04 electoral
      politics
      educational materials preparation") for membership feedback via
      email.
      -A Green Kitchen, featuring discussion of national electoral issues,
      will take place on March 21st. Will be primarily potluck.
      Location: Jason Neville's house.
      Coordinators for event: 1) Food, Jason Neville; 2) Education, Julie
      Whitbeck; 3) Publicity, Brad Mayeux.
      Ben Gordon offered to assist with publicity.
      Treasurer to provide funds as needed at his discretion.

      RETREAT TIME/PLACE/AGENDA
      Tabled to next CC meeting.

      V. Next Meeting Time/Place, Facilitator
      Coordinating Committee: Sunday, March 7 at 7 PM.
      General Membership: Sunday, March 28 at 5PM. Location: Fair Grinds
      Coffeehouse.

      ATTENDANCE
      Members: 16
      Visitors: 3
    • cammie@riseup.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
        As most of y'all have already heard by now, the International Women's Day
        festival is actually on Sunday, from 3-7pm.