UPDATE-Draining the Swamp-3/3/04

  • Edward Melendez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      March 3, 2003

      In this issue:

      *Draining the Swamp
      *Join Us, Please
      *News Roundup
      *Readers Write

      ---------------------------

      DRAINING THE SWAMP

      What do we make of the bigger situation, one in which
      teenagers have so little to look forward to, so little to lose,
      that they would start shooting wildly at each other on a
      crowded street during one of the traditional "truce" periods
      of New Orleans culture?

      Read it:
      http://www.ucno.org/issues/swamps.html

      ---------------------------
      Occasionally, we have to make a shameless pitch...

      BECOME A MEMBER OF THE URBAN CONSERVANCY

      The Urban Conservancy invites you to become a member
      and receive:

      *The Quarterly newsletter, mailed to your home or office
      *Copies of all reports and analyses issued by the Urban
      Conservancy
      *A voice in shaping the Urban Conservancy's research
      program and priorities

      The Urban Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
      organization and all membership contributions
      to the Urban Conservancy are tax deductible.

      Learn more:
      http://www.ucno.org/join/

      ---------------------------

      NEWS ROUNDUP
      Art, News and Culture of the City

      *Lagniappe
      *Under the Freeway
      *Remaking America in Walmart's Image
      *Making Emeralds of Open Space Eyesores
      *Sprawl Is on Ballot in California County

      Check it out:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup030304.html

      ---------------------------

      TAKE IT TO THE NETWORK

      If you are reading this, then you know the power of
      organization and communication.

      Your neighborhood or other group can now take it online!
      The Urban Conservancy supports democratic control of
      neighborhoods by their residents. A critical part
      of democracy is the open sharing of communication.
      The Internet is a part of that communication process
      and can be a way of quickly and inexpensively sharing
      information related to your neighborhood.

      The Urban Conservancy has learned a number of lessons
      from our website and e-mail list which received the
      Gambit award for Best Activist Use of the Internet in
      2002. Now we want to share that knowledge with
      neighborhood groups and other organizations
      throughout the city for a price that is more
      economical than almost anywhere else.

      Learn More:
      http://www.ucno.org/projects/tech_training.html

      ---------------------------

      READERS WRITE

      *Zoning For Dollars
      *The Dreadful Lack of Public Restrooms in The French Quarter
      *Aboveground Zine Library & Computer Lab

      Here is where they are:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/letters030304.html

      ---------------------------

      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest asset. Respond to us at
      editor@...

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      ...You keep plugging away--that's the way social change
      takes place. That's the way every social change in history
      has taken place: by a lot of people, who nobody ever heard
      of, doing work.
      -Noam Chomsky