Fwd: beware!

  • Steven Godfrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003
      I'm forwarding the expose on Howard Dean's Palestine policies/ideas for Dana Bartelt, one of the most committed workers we've had locally for Palestinian liberation:

      From: "Dana Bartelt"
      To: rylnwrld@...
      Subject: beware!
      Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:01:24 +0000

      Dear Steve, please circulate!!! thanks

      Howard Dean - A Hawk, Dressed like a Dove

      By Ahmed Nassef
      Jul 1, 2003
      AlterNet

      "When asked whether his views are closer to the dovish
      Americans for Peace Now (APN) or the right-wing,
      Sharon-supporting American Israel Public Affairs
      Committee (AIPAC), he stated unequivocally in an
      interview with the Jewish weekly The Forward, "My view
      is closer to AIPAC's view."

      Although often portrayed as progressive, former Vermont
      governor and Democratic presidential candidate Howard
      Dean falls short on several issues important to
      progressives, with the Middle East being one of the
      more glaring.

      True, Dean is one of the Democratic presidential
      hopefuls who opposed the invasion of Iraq (along with
      Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich, conservative Sen. Bob
      Graham, former Illinois Sen. Carol Moseley Braun, and
      Rev. Al Sharpton), but he is closer to a hawk when it
      comes to Israel/Palestine and U.S. policy toward Iran.

      In a major foreign policy speech earlier this year,
      Dean, while calling for an end to Palestinian violence,
      did not call for an end to Israeli violence, let alone
      an end to the illegal Israeli occupation.

      And when asked whether his views are closer to the
      dovish Americans for Peace Now (APN) or the right-wing,
      Sharon-supporting American Israel Public Affairs
      Committee (AIPAC), he stated unequivocally in an
      interview with the Jewish weekly The Forward, "My view
      is closer to AIPAC's view."

      "At one time the Peace Now view was important, but now
      Israel is under enormous pressure. We have to stop
      terrorism before peace negotiations," he said.
      Similarly, Dean's official campaign position on solving
      the Palestinian- Israeli problem is that "terrorism
      against Israel must end," but there is no mention of
      the Israeli violence that has resulted in over 2,391
      deaths since September 2000.

      Last December, Dean told the Jerusalem Post that he
      unequivocally supported $8 billion in U.S. loan
      guarantees for Israel. "I believe that by providing
      Israel with the loan guarantees ... the US will be
      advancing its own interest," he said. His unconditional
      support for the loan package, in addition to $4 billion
      in outright grants, went further than even some of the
      most pro-Israel elements in the Bush administration,
      like Paul Wolfowitz, who wanted to at least include
      some vague restrictions like pushing Israel to curtail
      new settlements and accept a timetable to establish a
      Palestinian state.

      On the illegal Israeli settlements, Dean seems to be
      waffling of late. A pro- Dean blog quotes his campaign
      as calling for the ultimate removal of only "a number
      of existing settlements." (The link back to the
      official site was no longer operational as of this
      writing.) However, in what may signal a softening of
      his position to woo progressive voters in the just
      passed MoveOn.org PAC Democratic "primary" vote, Dean
      called last month for "ultimately dismantling the
      settlements."So which one is it?

      (Dean won the MoveOn vote, but did not secure the 50
      percent majority needed to gain the PAC���s support. More
      rounds of voting will take place.) In fact, Dean's
      alignment with AIPAC and their right-wing politics goes
      much deeper than aligning with the group���s platform.
      Last year, he named Steven Grossman, a former AIPAC
      head, as his campaign's chief fundraiser. Soon after,
      he flew to Israel on an AIPAC-sponsored junket.

      And in a telling statement about whether a President
      Dean would act any differently toward Iran than the
      Bush neocons, Dean also told The Forward, "The United
      States has to ... take a much harder line on Iran and
      Saudi Arabia because they're funding terrorism.

      In fact, Dean thinks President Bush is way too soft on
      Iran. In a March appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation,"
      Dean explained that "[President Bush] is beholden to
      the Saudis and the Iranians,"something that would
      certainly come as a surprise to the current regime
      leaders in Iran who've been labeled as part of an
      alleged "Axis of Evil" by the current U.S. president.
      Dean even left open the possibility of preemptive
      strikes against that country in that interview, adding
      that "we have to be very, very careful of Iran."

      Once again, sounding very much like President Bush,
      Dean charged during a New Hampshire campaign stop this
      month that Iran (along with Saudi Arabia, Syria, and
      Libya) was "funding Palestinian terrorists and fueling
      terrorism throughout the world."

      Apparently, there is another side to this "anti-war"
      candidate. When combined with his dubious record as
      governor on issues like welfare "reform" and gun
      control, it may be prudent for progressives to think
      twice before casting their vote for Howard Dean.

      Steven Godfrey
      GNO Green Party Elections Coordinator
      GNO Independents-Green Slate (www.educatenotincarcerate.com) (July-October 2003) Candidate Information:

      CC Campbell-Rock (Campaign Manager: Paulette Swartzfager poet@...)
      www.educationaljustice.com
      BESE Board (Board of Elementary and Secondary Education): District 2 (All of Orleans Parish, small part of North Shore, small part of Jefferson Parish)

      Renee Washington (VRW1225@...)
      Jefferson Parish Sheriff

      Jason Neville (Campaign Representative: Robert Caldwell jamaisvu182@...)
      State Senate: District 3 (roughly between river and lake, Elysian Fields and industrial canal)

      Dan Thompson (Campaign Manager: John Thompson rylnwrld@... )
      State House: District 105 (around Plaquemines/Lafourche/Jefferson Parishes)

      Les Evenchick (piratefish@...)
      State House: District 93 (Quarter/Warehouse district/Downtown/parts
      of Lower Uptown/Central City/Treme)
      828 Royal Street, #256
      New Orleans, LA 70116
      504-671-8654