[UC] UPDATE -Stay Local!- 7/9/03

  • The Urban Conservancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2003
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      July 9, 2003

      In this issue:

      *Stay Local!
      *News Roundup
      *Readers Write
      *Upcoming Events

      ---------------------------
      STAY LOCAL!

      While the lawyers make their cases, the machinery
      rumbles along Tchoupitoulas. What's the proactive
      answer to Wal-Mart? It's simpler than you might
      think.

      Read it:
      http://www.ucno.org/local/stay_local070903.html

      TAKE ACTION!
      Sign the Stay Local! petition and spend one fourth
      of your planned holiday purchases at locally owned
      and operated stores:
      http://www.ucno.org/local/petition.html

      ---------------------------
      Help support our work...

      BECOME A MEMBER OF THE URBAN CONSERVANCY

      The Urban Conservancy invites you to become a member
      and receive:
      *The Quarterly newsletter, mailed to your home or office
      *Copies of all reports and analyses issued by the Urban
      Conservancy
      *A voice in shaping the Urban Conservancy's research
      program and priorities

      All new members will also receive the new Urban
      Conservancy T-Shirt as our gift to you.

      The Urban Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
      organization and all membership contributions
      to the Urban Conservancy are tax deductible.

      Learn more:
      http://www.ucno.org/join/

      ---------------------------
      NEWS ROUNDUP

      The Great Wal-Mart Wars...The Secret Life of a
      French Quarter Hobo...Despite Tunnel, Some Find
      Commute Still Slow...What Happens When People Who
      Love Books Band Together...Link Between Health
      and Sprawl Makes 'Smart' Growth Look Even Smarter

      Read more:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup070903.html

      ---------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest asset. Respond to us at
      editor@...

      ---------------------------
      READERS WRITE

      UC Message Confusing...Rampart Street Parking
      Garage...Urban Gardens In New Orleans...

      Read on:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/letters070903.html

      ---------------------------
      UPCOMING EVENTS

      July 12
      10 AM - NOON
      The New Orleans Food and Farm Network's
      Urban Garden Meeting at The Vintage Garden
      5700 Loyola Ave. For more information
      call Marilyn at 488-1147.

      July 18
      Evening
      Back to the Garden Fashion Show
      Held at the Mermaid Lounge, 1100 Constance
      Street, a benefit for the New Orleans Food
      Cooperative. After the fashion show, there
      will be live performances by Schatzy and the
      Devyani belly dancing troupe. There will
      also be an Art Auction in which all proceeds
      are donated to the New Orleans Food Cooperative.

      Edward Melendez
      Geoff Coats
      Principals

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      Get off the internet, I'll see you in the streets.
      -Anonymous