[UC] UPDATE -News and Readers Write- 7/02/03

  • The Urban Conservancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      July 2, 2003

      In this issue:

      *News Roundup
      *Readers Write
      *Factfinder
      *Upcoming Events

      ---------------------------
      Help support our work...

      BECOME A MEMBER OF THE URBAN CONSERVANCY

      The Urban Conservancy invites you to become a member
      and receive:
      *The Quarterly newsletter, mailed to your home or office
      *Copies of all reports and analyses issued by the Urban
      Conservancy
      *A voice in shaping the Urban Conservancy's research
      program and priorities

      All new members will also receive the new Urban
      Conservancy T-Shirt as our gift to you.

      The Urban Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
      organization and all membership contributions
      to the Urban Conservancy are tax deductible.

      Learn more:
      http://www.ucno.org/join/

      ---------------------------
      NEWS ROUNDUP

      TIFs-Locking Up Our Future (Thanks for the link,
      Peter)...ACORN (Los Angeles) Proposes Inclusionary
      Zoning...In a Bid to Reduce Traffic, Sweden Makes
      Motorists Pay...The Rise of the SUVs: Fascist Values
      on Ever-Larger Treads...Cities in Need Selling
      Themselves (Note To Mayor: This Is Not a Good Idea)

      Read more:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup070203.html

      ---------------------------
      READERS WRITE

      Demolishing the Neighborhoods...Eminent Domain
      in Ohio...Who Determines Blight?

      Read it:
      http://www.ucno.org/news/letters070203.html

      ---------------------------
      FACTFINDER

      "Many people believe that dealing
      with overweight and obesity is a
      personal responsibility. To some
      degree they are right, but it is also a
      community responsibility. When
      there are no safe, accessible places
      for children to play or adults to walk,
      jog, or ride a bike, that is a
      community responsibility."

      David Satcher, Former US Surgeon General

      Source: Leadership for Active Living,
      http://leadershipforactiveliving.org

      ---------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion of and
      response to everything we post on our Web site.
      We also welcome any tips or updates that are relevant
      to protecting New Orleans' greatest asset. Respond
      to us at editor@...

      --------------------------
      Edward Melendez
      Geoff Coats
      Principals

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      The people are the ultimate guardians of their own liberties.
      In every government on earth is some trace of human weakness,
      some germ of corruption and degeneracy ...Every government
      degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone.
      -Thomas Jefferson