GNOGP Rep. to anti-CAFTA coalition

  • Art Carpenter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2003
      Greens,

      You probably know that the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA)
      will be holding a round of negotiations in New Orleans from July 28 through
      Aug. 1. Basically, CAFTA aims to extend NAFTA-style provisions to the five
      nations of Central America.

      Last Thursday a group of New Orleanians formed an anti-CAFTA coalition (as
      yet unnamed). The coalition is structured as a spokescouncil, with each
      participating organization allotted two representatives.

      The coalition will next meet on Thurs., June 26 at 7:00pm at St. Mark's
      Community Center, 1130 N. Rampart (in one of the first-floor rooms on the
      Gov. Nichols side of the church).

      Because Greens have customarily opposed corporate globalization, I think
      the GNOGP should be an active part of the coalition. Since we won't have a
      membership meeting until July 6, I'm going to ask our coordinating
      committee to endorse the coalition now.

      Assuming the coordinating committee agrees, we'll need two members to
      represent us on the coalition's spokescouncil. If you'd like to work on
      this important project, please let me know by email asap, so I can seek
      authorization from the coordinating committee.

      Stay tuned for more info. Of course, everyone is encouraged to attend the
      next coalition meeting on Thurs.

      --Art Carpenter