UPDATE -We Are All Developers- 2/12/03

  • The Urban Conservancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2003
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      February 5, 2003

      In this issue:

      *We Are All Developers
      *Big Box Roundup
      *Readers Write
      *News Roundup

      ---------------------------
      WE ARE ALL DEVELOPERS

      After the debate about a development is done
      and the project (possibly) gets built, public
      attention is often quickly diverted. In New
      Orleans, that attention is often diverted to
      the flash point du jour (due to a zoning policy
      that is held hostage to politics) and rarely do
      we revisit the projections, the promises and
      the prognostications, both pro and con, to see
      if they come true.

      Read more:
      http://www.ucno.org/issues/total_development_awareness.html
      ---------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      Feel free to respond to the Urban Conservancy.
      We can't reply to everything we get, but we read
      every message. We also welcome any tips
      or updates that are relevant to protecting New
      Orleans' greatest asset--its urban fabric. Respond
      to us at editor@...

      ---------------------------
      BIG BOX ROUNDUP

      Is there hope against the big boxes? Perhaps:
      http://www.herman.net/alert/archive_8-21-2002.html

      Women wield power on both sides of the cash register at
      Wal-Mart:
      http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021216&s=featherstone

      We have the lowest prices, don't bother checking:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/21/technology/21COPY.html

      Kmart to close more stores, cut at least 30,000 jobs
      http://www.bakersfield.com/24hour/front/story/717626p-5267065c.html

      Apparently, Kmart is all ready to be out of
      business:
      http://www.kmartforever.com/

      ---------------------------
      UC IS LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS

      The Urban Conservancy is seeking volunteers to
      assist on a number of projects we will be working
      on this year. There are opportunities to work at
      the Urban Conservancy offices, out in neighborhoods,
      or on independent projects. If you are interested,
      please send an e-mail to volunteers@... with
      your name and phone number and what your interests are.
      You will be contacted soon!

      ---------------------------
      READERS WRITE

      Citizen's Planning Our City Forum...Volunteer and
      Make a Difference...Kwanzaa in February 2003

      http://www.ucno.org/news/letters021203.html
      NEWS ROUNDUP

      City Council Wants Rules Relaxed for Financing
      Districts...White House Wants to End Housing
      Program...Water and Power: The French
      Connection...In Case You Forgot About How Bad
      Water Privatization was in Atlanta, Here's
      the New York Times Version...University Of
      Pennsylvania Study Finds Evidence of
      Telephone-Based Discrimination in Housing
      Rentals

      http://www.ucno.org/news/roundup021203.html

      ---------------------------

      Edward Melendez
      Geoff Coats
      Principals

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is
      like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a
      set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of
      Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter
      which set of waiters brings you the dish, the
      legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall
      Street kitchen.
      -Huey Long