Community-Based Economics Campaign: first meeting

  • Bart Everson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      COMMUNITY-BASED ECONOMICS:
      The Galvanizing Green Issue for New Orleans

      * The kick-off organizational meeting for the Community-Based Economics
      Campaign will be this Saturday (June 6) at noon at the GNOGP office.

      -> Read on for more...

      Of all the Green values, community-based economics may be the most
      important in New Orleans. The general public knows we need economic
      development here. But that development needs to be based in the
      community, so that the local ecomomy prospers -- rather than sending
      prosperity to boardrooms in far away places.

      Thus our new campaign. We will aim to educate both consumers and
      business owners in the New Orleans area about the principals and
      practices of community-based economics.

      We also hope to produce a directory of locally owned businesses that are
      already maintaining a responsible relationship to the communities that
      support them.

      If you are interested in this powerful issue, bring your ideas to the
      organizational meeting this Saturday.

      First order of business: come up with a more exciting name for the campaign!

      .