[UC-FRIENDS] Urban Conservancy Update 6/19/02

  • The Urban Conservancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2002
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly Update*
      Month Day, 2002

      In this issue:

      *Why is this newsletter so wee?
      *New resources on-line from the city of New Orleans
      *Upcoming Events, June 19, July 20
      *Quick News and Views
      *Talk Back!

      WHY IS THIS NEWSLETTER SO WEE?

      We're doing a short newsletter this week to address staff vacations. Enjoy!

      NEW RESOURCES ON-LINE FROM THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS

      Use the form below to report a pothole, abandoned vehicle, traffic light
      outage, traffic sign damage or repairs and other maintenance issues
      involving Public Works including: manholes, catch basins, subsidence,
      curbs, sidewalks and ditches. To check the status of your complaint please contact the Public Works Call Center 30 days after you've submitted your request at (504) 658-CITY (2489).

      https://online.new-orleans.la.us/servlet/user/ViewPermit?permitId=2

      Historic District Landmarks Commission

      If you live in a New Orleans or CBD Historic District, HDLC is a first stop
      for making changes to the exterior of your property and learning more about
      safeguarding the history of the city. Check out their website at:

      http://www.new-orleans.la.us/cnoweb/hdlc/HDLC%20homepage.htm

      Thanks, David for passing this along!
      UPCOMING EVENTS

      June 19

      Downtown Development District Board of Directors Meeting

      4:00 PM, 1010 Common Street, 2nd Floor Conference Room. For more on the
      DDD, visit http://www.neworleansdowntown.com

      JULY 20

      BYWATER ART MARKET

      Every 3rd Saturday of each month through the end of 2002, The New Orleans
      Conservation Guild (NOCG), 3301 Chartres St., will sponsor The Bywater Art
      Market from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Quality, affordable art by local artists and
      artisans will be featured. Bywater and Marigny have long been a haven for
      artists, and now there is an art center to serve their needs. The NOCG has
      been working with collectors for more than 5 years providing conservation
      services and has been offering high quality framing and antique and vintage
      frames for sale for over a year. They are now working with local artists by
      providing an outlet to sell their works. 944-7900

      QUICK NEWS AND VIEWS

      Grocery to be smaller, per "preservationist" demands:
      http://www.nolalive.com/news/t-p/neworleans/index.ssf?/newsstory/w_albertson13.html

      Nagin wants water plan done in 90 days:
      http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/neworleans/index.ssf?/newsstory/o_united14.html

      Atlanta leaders unhappy with United Water so far
      http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/neworleans/index.ssf?/newsstory/o_water14.html

      Group revitalizing Uptown complex, Tenants to be helped with homeownership:
      http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/neworleans/index.ssf?/newsstory/o_peniston14.html

      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion of and response to
      everything we post on our Web site. We also welcome any tips
      or updates that are relevant to protecting New Orleans' greatest
      asset. Respond to us at editor@...

      Edward Melendez
      Geoff Coats
      Principals

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee there will be no hope. If
      you assume that there is
      an instinct for freedom, there are opportunities to change things.
      -Noam Chomsky