SOC meets in Alex; state convention next!

  • Art Carpenter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2002
      Dear Members and Friends of the GNOGP,

      Last Saturday the State Organizing Committee (SOC) met in Alexandria.
      Present were thirteen greens from the North Shore, New Orleans, Shreveport,
      and Alexandria. A detailed report of the meeting will soon be circulated
      to the various La. green lists. The following merely outlines what
      happened and suggests ways to get involved.

      Our discussion in Alexandria centered on organizing the founding convention
      of the Green Party of Louisiana, an event that will take place in New
      Orleans over Labor Day weekend (Sat., Aug. 31 and Sun., Sept. 1). To carry
      out that organizing, we formed five subcommittees, each with its own
      coordinator, tasks, and timelines. They are: Bylaws (Frank Neelis);
      Platform (Skylar Gremillion); Logistics (Art Carpenter); Outreach (Cheryl
      Easton); and Process (Jason Neville). We also chose Brad Bowen of
      Shreveport to serve as Convention Coordinator. Brad will make sure that
      each subcommittee's work gets done on time and will provide overall
      direction for our convention preparations.

      We left Alexandria with a good organizational plan. Of course most of the
      actual work remains to be done, and we need your help to do it. How can
      you get involved? Here are two possibilities.

      (1) Frank and Skylar will soon be circulating drafts of the bylaws and
      platform. Read them. Criticize them. Suggest revisions. These are our
      main documents. They're important! Your ideas will improve the final
      drafts submitted to the convention.

      (2) Each of the five subcommittees mentioned above needs help. Join one!
      To learn about the subcommittees, see the document attached below. Because
      the GNOGP is hosting the convention, it's especially important that we have
      an energetic logistics subcommittee. Let me know if you're interested.

      Two years ago La. greens first came together to discuss building a state
      party. Those of us who have been working on SOC since last January are
      confident that greens can finally launch that party over Labor Day weekend.
      We hope you share our confidence and enthusiasm.

      Let me know if you have questions or want to get involved. Meanwhile, stay
      tuned for the latest news about the convention.

      --Art Carpenter