Rescheduled Press Conference

  • Jason Neville
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2001
      Greens:

      The anti-third term press conference which was scheduled for yesterday was cancelled by Clarence Hunt.

      Daniel Pate was going to read a GP statement of opposition (attached).
      The statement was written by John Clark, Malik Rahim and myself. Antionette, Malike, John and Daisy were all asked to make or read a statement, (in addition to a list posting) but they were not available.

      The meeting has been rescheduled for tomorrow somethime, but I have not heard anything from him. I will call Daniel and others who might like to particpiate as soon as I hear from Clarence.

      Jason

      GNOGP STATEMENT ON PROPOSITION �A�

      The Greater New Orleans Green Party enthusiastically joins this coalition today to oppose the efforts by Marc Morial and his machine to end term limits by changing our City Charter. The Green Party is NOT here to endorse Mr. Hunt or any other candidate for office.

      Term limits aren�t just a limitation of time in office for one particular person. They are a limitation on how much power one person can have in a city. They ensure that no one person can become so powerful that citizens are helpless to participate in the democratic process. They ensure that no one person alters our government over time to serve his or her own personal ambitions.

      Powerful, multiterm mayors are no longer public servants, but political bosses. Such mayors become increasingly able to win elections because of big financial contributions and political patronage, rather than through open and free democratic processes.

      In this charter change campaign alone, Morial has raised $1.3 million, and still has $140,000 to staff his people at every polling place this Saturday and to run a blitz campaign this week in print, radio and TV. $1.3 million dollars. Imagine the extent of his control if we let him have another four years.

      The most democratic system would place greatest power in the legislative branch--the City Council--and would establish a large council with councilmembers representing individual neighborhoods and serving single terms, so that as many citizens as possible can take their term representing their own neighborhood. In a truly democratic system the exective branch--the mayor--would carry out the will of the citizens, not dominate local politics.

      We need to move in that direction, and bring power closer to the people and the neighborhoods. We must assert our right to a vibrant, dynamic democracy, free from autocratic control.

      The Green Party stands with the people of New Orleans and urges a vote of �NO� on Proposition A.

      http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp