Support Living Wage this Sunday

  • Bart Everson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2001
      Art asked me to send this to the list. -- Bart

      Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 21:01:14 -0500
      From: Art Carpenter <acarpntr@...>

      Greens,

      In Aug. the GNOGP coordinating committee suggested that local greens get
      together once a month and support the living wage campaign by leafleting
      and registering voters on Canal St.

      On Labor Day weekend a group of us met in front of the Marriott and
      began this important outreach work. We handed out hundreds of copies
      of a flyer ("Vote Yourself a Pay Raise!!) and registered several new
      voters. On balance, we got a very good response.

      We'll continue our support for the living wage campaign this Sun., Oct.
      7. We'll meet in front of the Marriott (Canal and Chartres) at 11:00am
      for a couple of hours of leafleting and voter registration. We'll
      especially want to reach out to workers in the hotels and tourist industry.

      The vote on the living wage is set for Feb. 2--less than 4 months away.
      So we don't have much time. Business and political elites will fight
      hard to defeat it. It's important that we join other progressive forces
      and fight equally hard for passage.

      Hope to see you Sunday morning!

      In solidarity,
      Art