Bats

  • paul357386
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2012
      Apologies to all concerned , but, please could folk refrain from posting any bat sightings on orkbird.

      It seems that there are issues with reports of bats being placed on a public forum.

      Could I therefore ask for folk to send them to me privately (e-mail, phone etc etc) and I will pass them on to the relevant people and then hopefully news may be published widely in due course.

      Sorry.

      Paul
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
        Hi Paul

        That's a strange one? There are so very few bat sightings/records in Orkney that you would think that the wider an audience as possible would be a good thing, if only to ask everyone to keep their (nocturnal!) eyes open. There is admittedly a balance to be struck between public knowledge and conservation requirements, but in this case I would tend to side with the 'let's find them first' side of the equation! I'll give you a call....Steve

        PS In 10 years, not a bat squeak in South Ronaldsay, for the record!

        --- In Orkbird@yahoogroups.com, "paul357386" <quoyangry@...> wrote:

        > Apologies to all concerned , but, please could folk refrain from posting any bat sightings on orkbird.
        >
        > It seems that there are issues with reports of bats being placed on a public forum.
        >
        > Could I therefore ask for folk to send them to me privately (e-mail, phone etc etc) and I will pass them on to the relevant people and then hopefully news may be published widely in due course.
        >
        > Sorry.
        >
        > Paul

      • Charles Tait
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
          I see Robin everyday but no sign of Batman. Maybe it is secret so in the event I see the bats that are around every summer I will do the same as usual which is enjoy and stay stumm.

          --- In Orkbird@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Orkbird%40yahoogroups.com> , "paul357386" <quoyangry@...> wrote:

          > Apologies to all concerned , but, please could folk refrain from posting any bat sightings on orkbird.
          >
          > It seems that there are issues with reports of bats being placed on a public forum.
          >
          > Could I therefore ask for folk to send them to me privately (e-mail, phone etc etc) and I will pass them on to the relevant people and then hopefully news may be published widely in due course.
          >
          > Sorry.
          >
          > Paul

        • Don Otter
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
            Hi Paul,
            Would it be possible to know what these issues are and who has raised them? The reason I ask is that I have always felt that dissemination of info usually aids conservation rather than hinders it. Rare breeding birds are an obvious exception due to eggers. Raptors could be another.
            On the area of countryside where I was a ranger for the last 18 years, we put on a variety of walks, talks and workshops for visitors, many with a wildlife emphasis. One of my colleagues was into bats and used to lead bat walks. If possible, he would locate a roost prior to the event so that the punters could enjoy the spectacle of the bats emerging at dusk. We always felt that by sharing our enthusiasm for the natural world we were gaining converts to the cause.
            Cheers.
            Don.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
              Don,

              The person who asked me to ask folk not to post on here is a member of orkbird.

              I am sure they will read your message and hope they will post the reasons for such a request.

              Cheers,

              Paul

              --- In Orkbird@yahoogroups.com, Don Otter <don.otter@...> wrote:

              > Hi Paul,
              > Would it be possible to know what these issues are and who has raised them? The reason I ask is that I have always felt that dissemination of info usually aids conservation rather than hinders it. Rare breeding birds are an obvious exception due to eggers. Raptors could be another.
              > On the area of countryside where I was a ranger for the last 18 years, we put on a variety of walks, talks and workshops for visitors, many with a wildlife emphasis. One of my colleagues was into bats and used to lead bat walks. If possible, he would locate a roost prior to the event so that the punters could enjoy the spectacle of the bats emerging at dusk. We always felt that by sharing our enthusiasm for the natural world we were gaining converts to the cause.
              > Cheers.
              > Don.
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
                Paul

                I expect there may be concerns regarding disturbance of roosts and implications thereof.

                Isn't it also very important that all Bat sightings in Orkney are reported to the appropriate Recorder. Would Orkbird not be a very valuable tool in achieving this end.

                Cheers

                Martin

                --- In Orkbird@yahoogroups.com, "paul357386" <quoyangry@...> wrote:

                > Don,
                >
                > The person who asked me to ask folk not to post on here is a member of orkbird.
                >
                > I am sure they will read your message and hope they will post the reasons for such a request.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Paul
                >
                > --- In Orkbird@yahoogroups.com, Don Otter <don.otter@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Paul,
                > > Would it be possible to know what these issues are and who has raised them? The reason I ask is that I have always felt that dissemination of info usually aids conservation rather than hinders it. Rare breeding birds are an obvious exception due to eggers. Raptors could be another.
                > > On the area of countryside where I was a ranger for the last 18 years, we put on a variety of walks, talks and workshops for visitors, many with a wildlife emphasis. One of my colleagues was into bats and used to lead bat walks. If possible, he would locate a roost prior to the event so that the punters could enjoy the spectacle of the bats emerging at dusk. We always felt that by sharing our enthusiasm for the natural world we were gaining converts to the cause.
                > > Cheers.
                > > Don.
                > >
                > > ________________________________

              • R MATSON
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
                  Hi Paul,

                  Folk may not be aware that there is a thriving bat group in the Orkney Field Club.  This very active group is run by Effy Everiss and has amassed  a great deal of data and a large number of records with regard to Orkney's bats.  The group have a number of extremely effective bat detectors.  I would recommend that anyone interested should contact Effy.

                  Cheers,
                  Dick.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
                    Hi Paul,
                    I should have mentioned in my last post that the Orkney Bat Recorder is Chris Booth on 872883.  Chris will be very pleased to receive records.
                    Cheers,
                    Dick

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2012
                      Records of any bat sightings should be sent in the first instance to Chris Booth who is the County Recorder. We have a very active Bat Group in the County annexed to the Orkney Field Club. Most of the Bat Group are keen local birders of long standing. The web-page is www.spanglefish.com/orkneybatgroup

                      We have been recording and analysing bat calls in the county to verify species as and when we can. Most of the local naturalists including the Bird recorder (Jim) have been directing bat records and enquiries to Chris and the bat group for a very long time. That is how it should be done.

                      Records can also be sent to any of the group members or to orkneybats@... or they can be sent to the Orkney Biodiversity Record Centre at Kirkwall Library.

                      They will be forwarded on to the county recorder.

                      We would like to encourage folk to record their sightings and send them to Chris as described. Orkbird is a very open and public site and the danger is that one of our fragile roosting sites may become public or the privacy of the houdeholders invaded. Orkbird has had problems with egg collectors and shooters using the site to locate birds and has to be very cautious about the information posted. The bats would like the same degree of respect please....

                      Bats are protected species and this information should not be in the public domain. Bats are mainly seen at night and around habitation where people live. The bat group seeks the landowners permission before any batwatch and we have a very good relationship with these good folk as a result.We would like this to continue. We also send them a report of what we have seen with a thank you letter.

                      There are guidelines about bat watching on the Bat Group website which I hope you will all find useful and we look forward to hearing about your bat sightings as all records help build up a picture of the bat population in the county. Having a County Recorder for Birds or Bats or beetles etc means that all the records are verified and end up in one co-ordinated place and eventally end up on the National Biodiversity Databases. They should not end up fragmented and lost. The information is used for environmental planning and assessment etc so it is vitally important to get the records to the right place in the correct manner.

                      There have been reports about the Orkney Bats in the OFC bulletin for over forty years.We do not have large bat roosts in Orkney, our biggest has barely a dozen occupants but they get about a lot and we probably have widespread migratory activity especially in the spring and autumn. They could be seen absolutely anywhere on the islands.... and at any time of the year so keep your eyes peeled at dusk!!!! then let the County Recorder know the time, date place, etc....

                      Effy
                    • diomedea
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 29, 2012
                        I have posted to Effy and to Paul privately but I agree strongly with the views Steve, Martin and Don have put forward. It is important to ensure records get to Chris and it is also important to protect sensitive roost sites. However, I really cannot see any harm in the general dissemination via orkbird of casual sightings. The debates about secrecy flourished in the birding and other wildlife communities in the past and I believe that with a few exceptions it is generally agreed that publicity and public knowledge is the best form of protection in most cases. Folk who want to do damage or collect specimens etc generally know about sites anyway in my experience and having occasional visitors of good intent to areas where the species occur can often head off catastrophe (in the case of bats, habitat destruction, building work or demolition) in the nick of time.

                        Alastair