Re: Artificial enzyme created by evolution in a test tube

  • JamesG
    Message 1 of 59 , Mar 1, 2013
      D R Lindberg (responding to Will): "This is the 'God of the gaps' argument, which has nothing to do with Darwinism, neo or otherwise. Jim, for one, always seems to be pushing it."

      You're quite wrong. I've never pushed any "God of the gaps" arguments. Indeed, I've explained on several occasions that intelligent design does not make any "God of the gaps" arguments. Rather than being an argument from ignorance (which is what a "God of the gaps" argument is), the argument for design is based on what we know about the kinds of effects caused by intelligent agents. You can always tell when someone is ignorant of ID when he reduces the argument for design to something like this:

      "Science can't explain this, therefore God did it."

      You'll see such a statement repeatedly in the writings of ID critics, which demonstrates that they've acquired their "knowledge" of ID not from reading any of the design literature, but from reading the criticisms of other poorly informed ID critics. From what I've seen, most criticisms of ID amount to the critics echoing and re-echoing one another's misrepresentations of it. The ID critic who takes issue with the arguments that design theorists actually make rather than with arguments he falsely attributes to them is rare.

      Jim in Missouri
    • D R Lindberg
      Message 59 of 59 , Mar 14, 2013