Re: Suboptimal design (dreams vs evidence)

  • D R Lindberg
    Message 1 of 121 , Dec 31, 2012
      --- In OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com, Kamran wrote:

      > > Kamran: You have to tell us how about the above? You need to show us
      > how these explain the origination of life, or the origination of
      > organisms and the origination of body parts, etc etc. You want us to
      > take these meaningless questions and accept the evolutionary story
      that
      > man is an evolved derivation of bacteria? Why don't you take Dawkin's
      > computer simulation of how evolution works and tell us how evolution
      > works. For instance, does Dawkin tell you whether one eye evolved
      before
      > two eyes or did evolution construct both eyes at the same time in one
      > fell swoop? If not, when the eyes were under evolution, what was the
      > role and function of all the incomplete parts? In other words what
      > would be the meaning of genetic definition of a body part that is
      > incomplete and has no function at all? How about you answering a
      single
      > serious question about evolution?
      > >

      > DRL: You seem to have a strange idea of what evidence is and what it
      can
      > show.
      >

      > Kamran: Yes it appears strange to you that I expect that the evidence
      should match the scope of the claim!!!!! For instance if someone
      accuses another person of murder or anything, they can't invoke a dream
      as evidence.

      Reasoning by totally false analogy noted.

      No one is suggesting invoking a dream as evidence.

      > ********************************
      >
      > DRL: If you asked someone for evidence of World War II, he could send
      you
      > complete copies of the Japanese plans for attacking Pearl Harbor, and
      it
      > seems that you would still reject it all, claiming that it wasn't real
      > evidence of World War II because it doesn't explain the Battle of El
      > Alamein, or Hitler's invasion of Russia, or the U-boats in the St.
      > Lawrence River, or the Battle of the River Plate, or the roles played
      by
      > Mussolini, De Gaulle, Quisling, Franco, the Duke of Windsor and David
      > Ben Gurion, or the episode described in the book "The Man Who Never
      Was"
      > or the spy work of Richard Sorge, or that of the man called Lucy, or
      my
      > father's or grandfather's roles, or how the bridge on the River Kwai
      was
      > really built.
      >

      > Kamran: Reasoning by totally false analogy noted. Now if you could
      only explain how breading dogs from volves can explain the origination
      of body plans or the origination of oirganisms, etc. Is there any
      other amazing thing you want me to accept based on your evolutionary
      dreams?

      There is no false analogy here. We were discussing evidence from
      Dawkins's book. No one claimed it alone was enough to "explain the
      origination of body plans or the origination of oirganisms, etc."

      First of all, you do not seem to realize that science is an ongoing work
      in progress that does not claim to have all the answers. It's like a
      giant crossword puzzle for which we have so far found only a few pieces,
      but these pieces seem to fit a pattern. It's like we had one piece
      showing a root, another piece showing part of a trunk covered with bark,
      another part showing a branch, and some parts showing leaves. Is it
      unreasonable to hypothesize that when we find them all, they will show a
      tree, or trees? It is of course possible that when we find more parts,
      we will find that this interpretation is incorrect, but as we find more
      and more parts that do fit, this possibility appears more and more
      remote.

      For information on the origin of body plans, may I suggest you look at
      Neil Shuban's "Your Inner Fish" or one of the books by Sean Carroll.

      Or you could just watch this documentary.which summarizes a lot of
      findings:
      http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/what-darwin-never-knew/

      > **************************************
      >
      > DRL: When dealing with an enormous subject, one can only deal with one
      part
      > of it at a time. Each of the topics you mention would require a
      complete
      > book or two to briefly summarize the evidence involved, so what do you
      > expect from one short posting?
      >

      > Kamran: I expect the short posting to have a token of relevance to the
      transformations that are credited to the evolutionary story?
      Evolutionary story is about something coming from nothing.

      It is not.

      First of all, may I suggest that you find out what the theory of
      evolution DOES say, rather than just repeating tripe from anti-evolution
      propaganda squads?

      >Even if I let your naturalistic inclinations off the hook regarding
      naturalistic abiogenesis (ie life rising out of dead matter), a bacteria
      is nothing compared to an organism. Some organisms and life forms are
      nothing compared to others in terms of scope of variations. If you are
      making evolutionary claims that some things come from nothing, your
      posting, short or long, must contain material that persuades the readers
      mind that some thing can come from nothing. You want dreams to be
      admitted and pass as evidnece and this is not going to happen here.

      I am not claiming that some things came from nothing (and I don't think
      anyone else is), so this is a red herring.

      Secondly, science IS an attempt to find naturalistic explanations for
      phenomena. So far, it seems to be working fairly well.

      > DRL: But if it makes you feel superior to attack everything, feel
      free.

      > Kamran: I don't attack anything.

      It sure looks, sounds and smells like an attack.

      >If you think evolution happens, please provide a piece of good argument
      or evidence and I'll gladly review and analyze it.

      If you have time, try the documentary I mentioned above. I would like to
      hear your opinion on why the findings suggested there are wrong.

      > Society is composed of two great classes: those who have more dinners
      > than appetite, and those who have more appetite than dinners. -
      > Sebastien-Roch-Nicolas de Chamfort, writer (1741-1794)
      >
      > Good one....

      Thank you!

      Cheers!

      "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans." -- Woody
      Allen

      Message 121 of 121 , Feb 11, 2013