Re: Suboptimal design

  • D R Lindberg
    Message 1 of 121 , Dec 30, 2012
      --- In OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com, Charles Palm wrote:
      > D R Lindberg: Again the galloping goalposts. If you want molecular
      > biology, PubMed has 35615 references under molcular biology and
      > Or you could look at the following:
      > http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/disease/lectures.html
      > http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/stemcells/lectures.html
      > http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/rna/lectures.html
      > http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/genomics/lectures.html
      > http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/immunology/lectures.html
      > D R Lindberg: When you've finished these and need more, just holler!
      > Charles P: This is another attempt to draw our attention away from
      > central issue. James A Shapiro used ten references to Evo-Devo in his
      > book. You and Gluadys are supposed to be searching for molecular
      > references from Dawkins and Coyne.

      Again you change the parameters of what you are demanding.

      Actually, if you make a claim, it is up to you to provide positive
      evidence, not to others to disprove it.

      But this rule doesn't seem to apply to creationists.

      >Dawkins and Coyne have ignored over 60
      > years of molecular science.
      > James A Shapiro: One reason Darwinism has failed to convince skeptics
      may be
      > that it ignores over 60 years of molecular science.

      Darwin has been dead for more than 130 years, so it is not surprising
      that he was not aware of discoveries made in the last 60 years.

      But if by "Darwinism," you mean present day evolutionary theory, it
      amounts to far more than Dawkins and Coyne, and certainly more than one
      book by each of them. Whatever they happen to say or not say is hardly a
      central issue of anything. Your comment is like saying WW II historians
      ignore the Pearl Harbor attack because it wasn't mentioned in a couple
      you happened to read out of the many books out there about the Battle of

      It takes less than a moment to find articles on Dawkins's website
      relating to molecular biology so he's hardly ignoring it. Here are two:

      But even with respect to the two books you mention, the statement is
      false. I have already pointed this out with respect to Dawkins, and as
      for Coyne, there is this:

      From a review:
      "Jerry Coyne weaves together the many threads of modern work in
      genetics, paleontology, geology, molecular biology, and anatomy that
      demonstrate the "indelible stamp" of the processes first
      proposed by Darwin."

      "Molecular evidence suggests that our common ancestor with the
      chimpanzees lived, in Africa, between 5 and 7 million years ago, say
      half a million generations ago. This is not long by evolutionary
      — Richard Dawkins

      I've always felt that we evolutionary biologists are the most
      fortunate of all scientists, because the whole purview of life is our
      study. On any given day, I'll be reading papers on molecular
      biology, on biogeography, on physiology, on embryology, on the fossil
      record. It all rolls into the process of evolution.
      - Jerry Coyne

      Message 121 of 121 , Feb 11, 2013