Re: Suboptimal design

  • D R Lindberg
    Message 1 of 121 , Dec 30, 2012
      --- In OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com, "JamesG" wrote:

      > Kamran: "Why don't you (D R Lindberg) take Dawkin's computer
      simulation of how evolution works and tell us how evolution works."

      > As you may know, Kamran, Dawkins's "METHINKSITISLIKEAWEASEL" computer
      simulation of evolution (like all other such computer simulations) does
      not mimic Darwinian evolution. His simulation operates with that phrase
      as its target, making it quite unlike Darwinian evolution (which has no
      targets, goals, aims, or purposes), and there is no chance that his
      simulation would fail to achieve the target. The only question is how
      many iterations (or generations) it takes for the simulation to achieve
      success. Dawkins himself admitted (in "The Blind Watchmaker") that his
      simulation was "misleading in important ways" because the selection
      function he programmed operated "according to the criterion of
      resemblance to a distant ideal target... Life isn't like that." Randomly
      generated letters that match the target sequence are selected and
      retained precisely because they match. Thus, Dawkins's simulation (like
      all others) smuggles intelligence into a process that is supposed to
      mimic the unintelligent process of Darwinian evolution. To the extent
      that such computer simulations tell us anything about evolution, they
      tell us that intelligence is vital to evolutionary searches achieving
      success. Here's a link to a relevant essay:

      http://marksmannet.com/RobertMarks/REPRINTS/2010-EfficientPerQueryInform\
      ationExtraction.pdf

      This is NOT the computer simulation of evolution that Dawkins discusses
      in "The Greatest Show on Earth" (and in some of his other books, I seem
      to remember).

      Perhaps you might like to take some of your own advice and actually look
      at what you are criticizing before you start pontificating about it.

      Cheers!

      "We live in a world of guided missiles and misguided men." -- Martin
      Luther King, Jr.

      Message 121 of 121 , Feb 11, 2013