The Humpty-Dumpty Effect

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
      Alexander Hamilton: Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.

      David Williams: An organized religion is an organized crime-Mark Twain.

      David Williams (To Charles): You don't know anything more about the origin
      of life than my cat, and neither does anyone else.

      Charles P: This is only your rhetoric to draw attention away from the
      central issue. Do you stand with Francis Crick or with Harry Lonsdale on
      their differing interpretations of biology as an information science?

      James A Shapiro: Over the last 60 years, DNA has proven to be an extremely
      complex and malleable information storage medium. Virtually all cells
      possess the basic biochemical tools for modifying DNA: proteins that
      cut, unwind, polymerize, anneal, and splice DNA strands. The
      generic operations that living cells have been shown to carry out on
      their genomic molecules indicate that any rearrangement is possible as long
      as the product is compatible with the basic rules of DNA structure (see
      Table II.3).

      Charles P: Empirical and verifiable evidence from molecular science has
      shown us that DNA digital code information cannot come from non-living
      things.

      Law of biogenesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogenesis Biogenesis is
      the production of new living organisms or organelles. The law of
      biogenesis, attributed to Louis Pasteur, is the observation that living
      things come only from other living things, by reproduction (e.g. a spider
      lays eggs, which develop into spiders). That is, life does not arise from
      non-living material, which was the position held by spontaneous generation.
      This is summarized in the phrase Omne vivum ex vivo, Latin for "all life
      [is] from life." A related statement is Omnis cellula e cellula, "all cells
      [are] from cells;" this observation is one of the central statements of
      cell theory.

      David S. Spiegel: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/2/395.full.pdf+html Life
      arose on Earth sometime in the first few hundred million years after the
      young planet had cooled to the point that it could support water-based
      organisms on its surface. The early emergence of life on Earth has been
      taken as evidence that the probability of abiogenesis is high, if starting
      from young Earth-like conditions.

      1 We revisit this argument quantitatively in a Bayesian
      statistical framework. By constructing a simple model of the probability of
      abiogenesis, we calculate a Bayesian estimate of its posterior probability,
      given the data that life emerged fairly early in Earth’s history and that,
      billions of years later, curious creatures noted this fact and considered
      its implications.

      2 We find that, given only this very limited empirical information, the
      choice of Bayesian prior for the abiogenesis probability parameter has a
      dominant influence on the computed posterior probability. Although
      terrestrial life's early emergence provides evidence that life might be
      abundant in the universe if early-Earth-like conditions are common,
      the evidence is inconclusive and indeed is consistent with an
      arbitrarily low intrinsic probability of abiogenesis for plausible
      uninformative priors.

      3 Finding a single case of life arising independently of our lineage (on
      Earth, elsewhere in the solar system, or on an extrasolar planet) would
      provide much stronger evidence that abiogenesis is not extremely rare in
      the universe.

      Charles P: Faith (or hypothesis) without empirical and verifiable evidence
      is the basis of all religions and all non-religions. Mathematics and
      computer simulations can be useful to science writers, but faith in human
      calculations is unscientific.

      Hebrews 11:1 Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the
      evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.

      Naturalism: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/nontheism/naturalism/
      As defined by philosopher Paul Draper, naturalism is "the hypothesis
      that
      the natural world is a closed system" in the sense that "nothing that is
      not a part of the natural world affects it." More simply, it is the denial
      of the existence of supernatural causes. In rejecting the reality of
      supernatural events, forces, or entities, naturalism is the antithesis of
      supernaturalism.

    • David
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone. "It means just what I choose it to mean - neither more or less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
        Lewis Carroll
        English author & recreational mathematician (1832 - 1898)

        "The face is what one goes by, generally," Alice remarked in a thoughtful tone.
        "That's just what I complain of," said Humpty Dumpty. "Your face is the same as everybody has—the two eyes, so " (marking their places in the air with his thumb) "nose in the middle, mouth under. It's always the same. Now if you had the two eyes on the same side of the nose, for instance—or the mouth at the top—that would be some help.

        Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. "They've a temper, some of them—particularly verbs, they're the proudest—adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs—however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say