Re: Living things are designed to evolve.

    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 1, 2012

      > 1
      > http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/36345/can+you+spot+the+cleverly+camouflaged+critters/
      > Can
      > you see the very leafy caterpillar, or the well-disguised gliding lizard,
      > or the tiny Chiffchaff bird, or the inconspicuous grasshopper hiding out,
      > or The Emperor Dragonfly, or The Jaguar that is South America's biggest
      > feline, or camouflaged crabs, or the spider, or the tiny frog?

      These are all fine examples of the sort of design produced by natural selection.

      > 2 http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Camoflage Camoflage is an example of
      > design.
      >
      > Charles P: There are two possibilities for living things: (1) design or (2)
      > no design. No design = random. Design = not random.

      And natural selection is not random. It naturally produces design, though not intelligent design. Just intelligent designers, some of them human.
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 5, 2012
        Tia Ghose:
        http://www.livescience.com/25190-genetic-roots-vertebrate-intelligence.html
        'Cognitive Big Bang' Discovered in Tiny Sea Worm. Several "brainy"
        genes
        that were duplicated in a tiny sea creature nearly 550 million years ago
        may have led to the massive expansion in intelligence in vertebrate
        species, two new studies have found.

        James A Shapiro: References #40, #41: Life requires cognition at all
        levels.

        James A Shapiro: References #93 - #95: We can think of this two-level
        proofreading process as equivalent to a quality-control system in human
        manufacturing. Like human quality-control systems, it is based on
        surveillance and correction (cognitive processes) rather than mechanical
        precision. The multistep nature of proofreading is typical of many control
        processes in cells,
        where final precision is achieved by a sequence of two or more interactions
        that are each themselves inherently less precise. In this regard, the most
        applicable cybernetic models are fuzzy logic control systems. In such
        systems, accurate regulation occurs by overlaying multiple imprecise
        (“fuzzy”) feedback controls arranged so that each successive event results
        in greater precision.

        James A Shapiro: In other words, we have numerous precise molecular
        descriptions of cell cognition, which range all the way from bacterial
        nutrition to mammalian cell biology and development. The cognitive,
        informatic view of how living cells operate and utilize their genomes is
        radically different from the genetic determinism perspective articulated
        most succinctly, in the
        last century, by Francis Crick’s famous “Central Dogma of Molecular
        Biology.” So it is appropriate to direct our attention to evaluating the
        validity of Crick’s formulation in light of 21st Century knowledge.

        James A Shapiro: A shift from thinking about gradual selection of
        localized random changes to sudden genome restructuring by sensory
        network-influenced cell systems is a major conceptual change. It replaces
        the “invisible hands” of geological time and natural selection with
        cognitive networks and cellular functions for self-modification. The
        emphasis is systemic rather than atomistic and information-based rather
        than stochastic.

        Stochastic: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stochastic Involving chance
        or probability.