The Making of the Fittest

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
      Gluadys: I have just been reading this book by Sean B. Carroll, also
      author of Endless Forms Most Beautiful.

      Charles P: http://www.hhmi.org/news/mesozoic20121026.html This is some of
      what Sean B Carroll is doing nowadays.

      Sean B. Carroll, HHMI vice president for science education and the film�s
      executive producer, will introduce the story to teachers on October 31
      during the second annual HHMI Night at the Movies at the NABT conference in
      Dallas, Texas. Following the film, Carroll will host a panel discussion
      with teachers attending the conference.

      http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/shortfilms/ The Day the Mesozoic Died.
      33 minutes 43 seconds. Watch The Day the Mesozoic Died (720p HD, 2Mbps)

      will probably remember some of the 19 messages we discussed here on Origins
      Talk in April about stickleback fish research done by evo-devo researchers.

      Charles P: http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/shortfilms/ The Making of
      the Fittest: Evolving Switches, Evolving Bodies 15 minutes 27 seconds.
      Watch Evolving Switches, Evolving Bodies(720p HD, 2Mbps). Here is a new
      updated video with some new evidence that describes the diversity of life
      similarly to the way James A Shapiro does. The name Mike Shapiro appears
      on some stickleback slides.

      http://edenrcn.com/steering/shapiro.html Genetic architecture of
      evolutionary change. Sticklebacks are ideal model organisms for genetic and
      developmental studies of natural populations because different populations
      of these fish vary dramatically in skeletal structures, yet fish from
      throughout the Northern Hemisphere can be readily crossed in the laboratory
      for genetic mapping experiments. Previous work determined that cis-acting
      regulatory changes in the Pitx1 locus are responsible for hind fin (pelvis)
      loss in a population of threespine sticklebacks (Shapiro et al., 2004,
      Nature). More recently, we showed that both similar and different genetic
      changes control pelvic reduction in ninespine sticklebacks (Shapiro et al.
      2006, PNAS; Shapiro et al., 2009, Current Biology), a different genus of
      fish that last shared a common ancestor with threespine sticklebacks over
      10 million years ago. By comparing the genetic basis of other traits
      between the two different types of fish, we can critically test whether
      similar genetic mechanisms repeatedly underlie similar adaptive phenotypes,
      a topic of enduring interest to geneticists and evolutionary biologists.