Re: [OriginsTalk] Re: The Making of the Fittest

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: David
      To: OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:46 AM
      Subject: [OriginsTalk] Re: The Making of the Fittest

      GLU: > Here is how Carroll sums up the situation before diving into that question.

      > "Today the body of facts concerning evolution continues to expand in all dimensions. . . . It is hard to imagine how anyone in command of these facts could harbour any reasonable doubt. . . . Yet in the face of all of the evidence, there remains much doubt and outright denial of the reality of biological evolution. To understand this doubt and denial, we'll leave the realm of scientific evidence, because the reasons for such doubt could not be, and are not, scientific."
      >

      > LA> On the other hand various evolutionists have admitted at various times and in various ways that the Creation scientists regularly "routed" their evolutionary opponents in a decade of hundreds of open, public, debates on the scientific questions! For example noted evolutionist, Niles Eldredge wrote the following;
      >
      > --------------------------------
      > "Creationists travel all over the United States,
      > visiting college campuses (*) and staging "debates" with
      > biologists, geologists, and anthropologists. The
      > creationists nearly always win."
      >
      > "The audience is frequently loaded with the already
      > converted and the faithful. And scientists, until recently
      > have been showing up at the debates ill-prepared for what
      > awaits them. Thinking the creationists are uneducated,
      > Bible-thumping clods, they are soon routed by a steady
      > onslaught of direct attacks on a wide variety of scientific
      > topics."
      >
      > "No scientist has an expert's grasp of all the
      > relevant points of astronomy, physics, chemistry, biology,
      > geology, and anthropology. Creationists today - at least
      > the majority of their spokesmen - are highly educated,
      > intelligent people. Skilled debaters, they have always done
      > their homework. And they nearly always seem better informed
      > than their opponents, who are reduced too often to a
      > bewildered state of incoherence."
      >
      > (The Monkey Business, Niles Eldredge, 1982, p. 17)
      > (*) elsewhere some evolutionists try to pretend that the
      > debates are mostly NOT on College campuses!)
      >
      > =================

      David Williams: If creationism was a real science, it would be taught at mainline universities. Real scientists would cite creation scientist's work in their scientific papers. Such is not the case. Creationism and its offshoot, Intelligent Design have little or no impact on real science.

      LA> Quote true. However, on this question we have American Public education being similar to the bad old days of Joseph Stalin, where only atheism is taugh in schools.

      DW: In USA courtrooms where evidence counts, creationists have never been able to persuade most judges that creationism is a real science and thus eligible to be taught in USA public school science classes.

      LA> You make a strong case for the dreadful state of the Judicial system, where most Judges are probably themselves evolutionists and perhaps should have disqualified themselves. Even then, most cases result in a divided "opinion" among the judges anyway, and this shows that their judgemenmts are questionable at best.

      Laurie.

      Evidence from the fossil record now points overwhelmingly away from the classical Darwinism which most Americans learned in high school; (Newsweek, November, 1980)

      No virus found in this message.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
          David Williams: If creationism was a real science, it would be taught at
          mainline universities. Real scientists would cite creation scientist's work
          in their scientific papers. Such is not the case. Creationism and its
          offshoot, Intelligent Design have little or no impact on real science.

          Charles P: I suggest that we all try to realize that the vast majority of
          people, regardless of their religion or non-religion, are intelligent and
          reasonable people. It is the arrogant extremists who make all of the
          unreasonable claims that cause the rest of us to take sides on a ridiculous
          debate that can never be resolved based upon philosophies alone.

          Charles P: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENCODE The ENCODE project has
          clarified much confusion about biology as an information science. It would
          be wise for all of us to read as much as possible about the sciences of
          molecular biology, evo-devo, etc. that are answering the profound questions
          about the origin and diversity of life.

          Charles P: http://www.nnu.edu/academics/academic-departments/biology
          Northwest
          Nazarene University, here in Nampa, Idaho, offers a Bachelor of Science
          Degree in Biology. Real scientists are just like the rest of the
          population. They do not all think alike. Real scientists deserve our
          respect and should not be blamed for the unscientific writings by
          scientific writers with a distorted agenda of trying to impose their
          philosophies in science classes.

          Charles P: http://www.intelligentdesign.org/whatisid.php It is also a
          wise idea to keep in mind that Intelligent Design is not the same as
          creationism. Unless critics have empirical and verifiable evidence that
          contradicts Intelligent Design, their criticism is unscientific.

          Charles P: http://creationwiki.org/Evolution It is also a wise idea to
          keep in mind that creationists also believe in evolution. The empirical
          and verifiable scientific evidence is the same for everyone. It is OK that
          we have different interpretations of that evidence.

          Science: http://www.geosociety.org/positions/position1.htm Science, by
          definition, is a method of learning about the natural universe by asking
          questions in such a way that they can be answered empirically and
          verifiably. If a question cannot be framed so that the answer can be
          tested, and the test results can be reproduced by others, then it is not
          science.

          Charles P: David, I share the same criticism that you do of the arrogant
          extremists who make all of the unscientific claims that are neither
          empirical nor verifiable.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012

            > Charles P: http://www.intelligentdesign.org/whatisid.php It is also a
            > wise idea to keep in mind that Intelligent Design is not the same as
            > creationism. Unless critics have empirical and verifiable evidence that
            > contradicts Intelligent Design, their criticism is unscientific.

            Unless IDists have empirical and verifiable evidence that supports Intelligent Design, it is not possible to offer a scientific criticism of it. What is empirically observable is that ID uses the same oratorical strategies & tactics, often even the same arguments, as evolution-denying creationists. So, the observation that it is a repackaging of creationism seems to be borne out by the evidence.

            > Charles P: http://creationwiki.org/Evolution It is also a wise idea to
            > keep in mind that creationists also believe in evolution. The empirical
            > and verifiable scientific evidence is the same for everyone. It is OK that
            > we have different interpretations of that evidence.

            It is not OK to have false interpretations of the evidence, or to treat false interpretations as justifiable "differences of opinion". It is also not OK to cherry-pick evidence (as much evolution-denying literature does) to give a false impression of supportive evidence when the more complete picture is clearly in favour of evolution.
          • Joe Martin
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012

              ****

              -----------------------

              "Why do creationists seem to be the consistent
              winners in public debates

              JM> not scientific debates. YECs have never HAD a scientific debate where
              the merits, theories and hypotheses of the science of creation has been
              presented for scientific scutiny... WHY?? Because YEC has no scientific
              evidence to support any of the wild notions proposed by YEC science(sic).
              Public debating games are not science.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
                Gluadys: I have just been reading this book by Sean B. Carroll, also
                author of Endless Forms Most Beautiful.

                Charles P: http://www.hhmi.org/news/mesozoic20121026.html This is some of
                what Sean B Carroll is doing nowadays.

                Sean B. Carroll, HHMI vice president for science education and the film�s
                executive producer, will introduce the story to teachers on October 31
                during the second annual HHMI Night at the Movies at the NABT conference in
                Dallas, Texas. Following the film, Carroll will host a panel discussion
                with teachers attending the conference.

                http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/shortfilms/ The Day the Mesozoic Died.
                33 minutes 43 seconds. Watch The Day the Mesozoic Died (720p HD, 2Mbps)

                will probably remember some of the 19 messages we discussed here on Origins
                Talk in April about stickleback fish research done by evo-devo researchers.

                Charles P: http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/shortfilms/ The Making of
                the Fittest: Evolving Switches, Evolving Bodies 15 minutes 27 seconds.
                Watch Evolving Switches, Evolving Bodies(720p HD, 2Mbps). Here is a new
                updated video with some new evidence that describes the diversity of life
                similarly to the way James A Shapiro does. The name Mike Shapiro appears
                on some stickleback slides.

                http://edenrcn.com/steering/shapiro.html Genetic architecture of
                evolutionary change. Sticklebacks are ideal model organisms for genetic and
                developmental studies of natural populations because different populations
                of these fish vary dramatically in skeletal structures, yet fish from
                throughout the Northern Hemisphere can be readily crossed in the laboratory
                for genetic mapping experiments. Previous work determined that cis-acting
                regulatory changes in the Pitx1 locus are responsible for hind fin (pelvis)
                loss in a population of threespine sticklebacks (Shapiro et al., 2004,
                Nature). More recently, we showed that both similar and different genetic
                changes control pelvic reduction in ninespine sticklebacks (Shapiro et al.
                2006, PNAS; Shapiro et al., 2009, Current Biology), a different genus of
                fish that last shared a common ancestor with threespine sticklebacks over
                10 million years ago. By comparing the genetic basis of other traits
                between the two different types of fish, we can critically test whether
                similar genetic mechanisms repeatedly underlie similar adaptive phenotypes,
                a topic of enduring interest to geneticists and evolutionary biologists.