RE: [OriginsTalk] Directed or undirected?

  • Joe Martin
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 5, 2012
      From: OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com [mailto:OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Jim Goff
      Sent: April-02-12 5:08 PM
      To: OriginsTalk
      Subject: [OriginsTalk] Directed or undirected?

      DIRECTED OR UNDIRECTED?

      Gluadys and I have gone 'round and 'round about what it means to say (as
      evolutionary biologists do) that evolution (as "explained" by Darwinian
      theory) is "random and undirected." Here's a link to a thoughtful essay by
      Jay W. Richards that addresses that point:

      JM> Darwinism does not reject the supernatural, Darwinism doesn't bring the
      supernatural into the equation of evolution. Big difference Jim. By
      bringing supernatural into a scientific equation then any scenario is not
      only possible BUT just as valid since no evidence is needed to make the
      claim. SO... Supernaturally speaking... EVERYTHING was created last
      Tuesday. I defy you to prove that wrong.

    • Al Young
      Message 61 of 61 , May 5, 2012
        --- In OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com, "gluadys" <g_turner@...> wrote:

        > --- In OriginsTalk@yahoogroups.com, "stewart8724" art1st@ wrote:
        . . . .

        > > Here's a question that I once had a prolonged dispute about.
        > > You have two guns set side by side, one is a pistol the other a
        rifle. They are both pointing the same direction, the barrels are
        parallel to the ground and there is no wind. Then they are fired
        simultaneously, Which bullet hits the ground first?

        They will both hit the ground at the same time. The downward vector
        (acceleration toward earth's center) components are identical as is the
        distance from the ground for both guns. The result would be the same if the
        rifle (or pistol) was fired horizontally and a rock was dropped from the
        same distance above the ground. This is a variation of the old monkey/rifle
        story wherein a monkey drops from a tree and a rifle is fired horizontally
        at it from another tree at exactly the same time. The monkey dies because
        the bullet and the monkey drop at the same rate.