Human Hair DNA Has No Match With Modern Humans

  • Chris Ashcraft
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001
      http://www.earthfiles.com/earth298.htm

      NOTE: Online article contains photos

      12,000-Year-Old Human Hair DNA Has No Match With
      Modern Humans

      � 2001 by Linda Moulton Howe

      Woodburn, Oregon Ice Age archaeological site where
      10,000 to 12,000-year-old unidentified human hair was
      found in 1999.

      October 28, 2001 Woodburn, Oregon - Human hair dating
      back to the last Ice Age ten to twelve thousand years
      ago was discovered in 1999 at an archaeological dig in
      Woodburn, Oregon between Salem and Portland. The Ice
      Age site is filled with the bones of elephants,
      sloths, condors and a bird with a 14-foot wingspan.
      The unidentified human hairs were found perfectly
      preserved a few feet underground and had enough
      follicles for DNA analysis. This week I talked with
      geology professor emeritus, William Orr, at the
      University of Oregon, about DNA efforts to match the
      Ice Age hair to any living hominoid species on earth
      today.

      William Orr, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus in Geology,
      University of Oregon, and Director of the State Museum
      of Paleontology, Eugene, Oregon: "You can identify
      human hair, forensic criminologist types, can identify
      human hair from a single strand because of the
      granules and color and all that kind of stuff. You can
      distinguish human hair from all other hair just from a
      little piece of follicle.

      We found several strands of human hair, long pieces a
      foot and a half long, black, long pieces of hair. And
      then if you can find the root of the hair that still
      has a follicle, you can do DNA on it. So researchers
      immediately sent the (Ice Age) hair off to a lab and
      they began to extract the DNA. Some of it was not so
      good, but a lot of it was well preserved in the
      oxygen-poor bogs of Woodburn. The geneticists found
      the hair didn't match any Asian hair DNA. It didn't
      match African, European. It didn't match anything.
      Dogma would be that Ice Age humans along the west
      coast of the United States would be from a Japanese
      population that is alleged to have come over the
      Bering Sea back twelve to thirteen thousand years ago.

      So right now we have DNA we can't track. We can't
      figure out what it's from. Apparently from a
      population we don't have today. They are gone. And
      it's only 11,000 or 12,000 years old. About that time
      period, there was a huge crisis in animals. The larger
      animals all disappeared and they disappeared in a
      wave. They disappeared first in British Columbia and
      then in Washington, Oregon, California and right on
      down. Some were still around until 10,000 years ago in
      Tierra del Fuego. So, it was like a wave of extinction
      at the rate of about 10 miles per year.

      SO THERE IS A MYSTERY ABOUT WHAT KILLED OFF ALL OF
      THESE MAMMALS IN WAVES TEN OR TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS
      AGO?

      Oh, yes. In fact for my money, it's far more profound
      than the crisis that killed off the dinosaurs and a
      few other animals at 66 million years ago. This
      (western North American) was more sudden, more
      pervasive. It kind of selectively took the large
      animals in a short period of time.

      HOW DEEP DOWN WERE THE HAIRS FOUND?

      The deepest ones were from ten to twelve feet, but a
      lot of them were from much shallower depths. It's an
      old stream bed and we just took a little auguring
      device to core down and began getting well-preserved
      hair out of the clays. The Woodburn stuff � it's like
      putting it in a deep freeze, or a glad bag and
      freezing it. It's an anoxic environment (no oxygen).
      You wouldn't believe the insects come out with colors
      still. And as you watch them, the color changes from
      the iridescent blue-green back to a kind of dull
      black, just in the exposure as they oxidize before
      your eyes. Even the butterflies come out with pigment
      and then they just change color.

      IT'S ALMOST AS IF THEY WERE QUICK FROZEN.

      Almost."

      Professor Orr has even considered the possibility that
      the black hairs could come from a hominoid such as the
      mysterious Sasquatch long associated with the
      northwest. Whatever the hairs' source or sources, it
      came from someone who was there when elephants, sloths
      and giant birds lived on the west coast of North America.

      =====
      Chris Ashcraft
      Creation Science Resource
      http://www.geocities.com/ashcrac