Emergent properties

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      Emergent things come into existence, arise or come into view. Many
      things in nature are emergent. Mountains rise up, tilting the
      formerly level sedimentary rocks at steep angles. Oceans spread out
      where continents used to join. According to the ancients, the planet
      that were once near moved into the dim nether gloom. Almost everything
      we see around us in nature is emergent. A tiny oak seed sends up an
      emergent shoot that continues to change relationally. Things that
      change relationally change in parallel, every aspect of the oak
      emerges together - changes as a relation. The great oak is cut down,
      but even then its properties are emergent. When it burns, heat, smoke
      and ash emerge. Perhaps oaken planks are built into a house. Even
      then its properties are emergent, because the wood gets harder with
      age. Perhaps it lies on the ground to rot, but even then its
      properties are emergent. All around us we see emergent properties.

      Peter wrote that the first thing to know is that in the last days
      mockers would say all things continue the same in Being or Relation.
      The mockers will believe that the properties of matter are not
      emergent properties. He predicted that the mockers will obfuscate the
      heavens - ouranoi esan ekpalai. Ek means to come out. Palai comes
      from the word meaning vibrations or circuits. It was used of the
      ancient circuits of the heavens which our ancestors claimed were the
      great-time, the long-time, the vast ages when people lived for long
      eons. How could the stars be ekpalai, come out long ago, if the
      universe is only 6,000 earth-orbits old?

      What would the universe look like if the properties of matter are
      emergent properties? We can see the past with sight all the way back
      to the creation age. If the properties of matter are emergent, then
      we should see that ancient things moved and shone contrary to our
      science. After all, our ancestors built science on Aristotle's
      assumption that the properties of matter are static and unchanging.
      They even constructed the scientific operational definitions of matter
      and time on this assumption. Almost everything a scientist measures
      is based on the assumption that the properties of matter are not
      emergent, changing even as he measures them. If the properties of
      matter are emergent (1) they could not measure such changes locally
      because every instrument and every local unit of measurement would be
      affected. (2) No constants, permanent independent variables, could
      exist. (3) Yet if the properties of matter emerge relationally, in an
      orderly way, those who held the view that matter is made of perpetual
      motion atoms could contrive constants. Their constants and units of
      measurement would be ratios (like pi) as every aspect changes
      relationally (like circles).

      What do we see in the universe? We see that primordial galaxies were
      compact and naked, without diffuse arms. They are often found in
      equally spaced chains like beads on a necklace. Closer galaxies are
      observed with distinct clumps of stars beginning to spiral out as each
      galaxy grows. At many ranges we observe how every property of matter
      emerges, changes in a relational way, as its light frequencies,
      inertial properties and the space it takes up continually change. Not
      a single galaxy in the distant universe is observed to shine with the
      light of perpetual motion atoms. Scientists are building enormous
      telescopes which will continue to see how the stars came out,
      accelerated out as every galaxy grew. Our ancestors even measured with
      angles (the only units that are independent of science's assumption) a
      solar system that continually grows. Even today, when we use angles
      instead of clocks, the parallax to Mars keep on getting smaller at
      subsequent superior conjunctions. Since every orbit and every atomic
      clock is visibly accelerating, the universe is old in age and young in
      orbits just like the Bible states.