Re: [OriginsTalk] The Five Senses

  • Al Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2007
      Phil: My personal view of the five senses is that they are but one
      avenue to knowledge. We also have innate knowledge of things like space
      & time or love & hate, all of which inform us about the nature of the
      world we live in.

      Al: I think human beings (other animals also) are born not with innate
      knowledge per se, but with a wherewithall to acquire certain learnings
      easily and quickly given prerequisite experience during a window of time
      early in life - there's a, perhaps time-sensitive, predisposition to
      specific "brain wiring"; such dimensions of knowledge as you mention
      above may fall into that category.

      Al
    • Phil Schuster
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
        > Phil: My personal view of the five senses is that they are but one
        > avenue to knowledge. We also have innate knowledge of things like
        space
        > & time or love & hate, all of which inform us about the nature of
        the
        > world we live in.

        > Al: I think human beings (other animals also) are born not with
        innate
        > knowledge per se, but with a wherewithall to acquire certain
        learnings
        > easily and quickly given prerequisite experience during a window of
        time
        > early in life - there's a, perhaps time-sensitive, predisposition
        > specific "brain wiring"; such dimensions of knowledge as you
        mention
        > above may fall into that category.

        Phil S:
        This whole discussion may be getting off topic, but I just want to
        make a simple distinction between innate knowledge and observed
        facts. Specific things we learn through our senses are observations
        that can only make sense in the context of innate knowledge. We are
        born with an understanding of the passage of time and with the
        realization that things have a spatial relationship with eachother.
        We are also born with a sense of cause & effect, even to the point
        where we are prone to attribute a causal relationship between two
        events occuring in sequrnce (leading the all too common post hoc ergo
        propter hoc fallacy). We come into this world with the understanding
        that nouns refer to objects & verbs refer to action before we learn
        our first word; that is, the syntax of language is innate. I think
        that the empirical methods of science owe a lot to the combination
        between these innate assumptions coupled with sense perceptions. What
        this has to do with the creation/ID/evolution debate, I am not sure.
        But that's my take on the role of the 5 senses.