Wedge Document

  • Phil Schuster
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Phil S:
      I had made a reference to the "Wedge Document" in an earlier post. I
      would like to make a quick comment on its introductory statement and
      give you a URL so you can look it up yourselves. Here it is:

      www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/wedge.html

      Here is the intro statement:

      CENTER FOR THE RENEWAL OF SCIENCE & CULTURE

      INTRODUCTION

      The proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is
      one of the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was
      built. Its influence can be detected in most, if not all, of the
      West's greatest achievements, including representative democracy,
      human rights, free enterprise, and progress in the arts and
      sciences.

      Yet a little over a century ago, this cardinal idea came under
      wholesale attack by intellectuals drawing on the discoveries of
      modern science. Debunking the traditional conceptions of both God
      and man, thinkers such as Charles Darwin, Karl Marx, and Sigmund
      Freud portrayed humans not as moral and spiritual beings, but as
      animals or machines who inhabited a universe ruled by purely
      impersonal forces and whose behavior and very thoughts were dictated
      by the unbending forces of biology, chemistry, and environment. This
      materialistic conception of reality eventually infected virtually
      every area of our culture, from politics and economics to literature
      and art

      The cultural consequences of this triumph of materialism were
      devastating. Materialists denied the existence of objective moral
      standards, claiming that environment dictates our behavior and
      beliefs. Such moral relativism was uncritically adopted by much of
      the social sciences, and it still undergirds much of modern
      economics, political science, psychology and sociology.

      Materialists also undermined personal responsibility by asserting
      that human thoughts and behaviors are dictated by our biology and
      environment. The results can be seen in modern approaches to
      criminal justice, product liability, and welfare. In the materialist
      scheme of things, everyone is a victim and no one can be held
      accountable for his or her actions.

      Finally, materialism spawned a virulent strain of utopianism.
      Thinking they could engineer the perfect society through the
      application of scientific knowledge, materialist reformers advocated
      coercive government programs that falsely promised to create heaven
      on earth.

      Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture
      seeks nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its
      cultural legacies. Bringing together leading scholars from the
      natural sciences and those from the humanities and social sciences,
      the Center explores how new developments in biology, physics and
      cognitive science raise serious doubts about scientific materialism
      and have re-opened the case for a broadly theistic understanding of
      nature. The Center awards fellowships for original research, holds
      conferences, and briefs policymakers about the opportunities for
      life after materialism.

      The Center is directed by Discovery Senior Fellow Dr. Stephen Meyer.
      An Associate Professor of Philosophy at Whitworth College, Dr. Meyer
      holds a Ph.D. in the History and Philosophy of Science from
      Cambridge University. He formerly worked as a geophysicist for the
      Atlantic Richfield Company.

      Phil S:
      Talk about conspiracy theories! They are really arguing against
      certain reductionistic & mechanistic tendencies in science, and I
      can agree with some of their criticisms in that respect. But the
      bait & switch comes when they try to paint all of empirical science
      with this characterization, and confuse the naturalistic methodology
      of science with the philosophy of naturalism or materialism. Note
      how they are not shy about stating their mission to bring God into
      the argument, as if modern science were based on a rejection of God.
      There is no theory in science that postulates the non-existence of
      God. And there is no corollary to evolutionary theory that makes
      such an assertion. this is a total straw man.