Mars polar sublimation and Saturnian icy moons

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      I am amazed at the similarity between the flat bottomed depressions on
      Tethys and Hyperion and the same sort of structures on Mars. On Mars
      we know several things about the polar regions.
      1. They are largely made of water ice, although in the winter, CO2
      covers the ice.
      2. On both poles, as they alternate to summer, the CO2 evaporates and
      then the water begins to sublime away. Pits in the surface expand
      from year to year.
      3. The pits have flat bottoms. The larger pits sometimes have
      central islands or elevations that also eventually sublime away.
      4. In some areas we see erosion on the upper areas of gullies and
      depressions at high latitudes. The erosion usually tapers off with
      distance from the rim.
      5. On Hyperion the depressions have similar erosion features on the
      upper walls, the pits have flat dark bottoms, the dark material is not
      thick, because in at least one case an impact crater in the dark floor
      punched through to light material and has rays of light material
      around it. On Tethys the depressions are light in color and the walls
      also have erosional features. The pits are sometimes odd shaped, not
      at all like impact craters.

      The following are views of polar erosion features from Mars. These
      may be helpful when examining the eroded depressions on icy Hyperion
      and Tethys.

      Were the icy moons of Saturn once warmer? Did they also sublime some
      of their ices off? One of them, Enceladus, is clearly doing so right
      now and has geological evidence for recent changes to its surface.
      Tethys, has global evidence for enormous change - a huge rift valley.

      Was the solar system once much smaller? The Bible states that the
      heavens are expanding. Why is it that when we look at the most
      distant objects in the heavens, they clearly are so different looking
      than local objects? Why do the most distant objects show evidence of
      motions unlike what we see locally? Why is the light from all
      primordial atoms shifted in color? The Bible has no mathematical
      formulas. Yet what it states is clearly supported by simple evidences
      in the heavens. It says everything in creation is subject to
      inutility. The whole creation is in bondage to decay - phthora - the
      degeneration of matter. Clearly matter changes, and that is the most
      important thing you can think about the physical universe. How can we
      reconcile the Bible and science? We can't, because the Bible denies
      the historical, elementary assumption that is the basis of scientific
      reasoning. God says at some punctual point, He will make foolish the
      wisdom of the world. He even spells out the very thing that totally
      defeats the greatest system of rationality the world has ever known.
      That will result in everlasting praise and glory for Him.