29956Re: Answer to Message #29937.

    Nov 9, 2012

      > Gluadys: Thank you. For the first time you have admitted that you do not
      > understand the basic theory of evolution and how it works through time. How
      > othen can you possibly identify what evidence supports the theory and what
      > evidence would not support it?
      >
      > Charles P: No ad hominem fallacy statements, please.

      Not an ad hominem and not a fallacy. A conclusion from the evidence.

      >I probably understand the basic
      > theory of evolution better than you do, but that is not important.

      If you did, you would understand Axe's error.

      > Gluadys: Explaining it fully and providing the evidence would effectively
      > mean explaining the whole theory of evolution, what evidence is needed to
      > support it and why, and cataloguing the massive amount of evidence that
      > does support it. If you really want to know all this, sign up for a course
      > on biological evolution.
      >
      >However, if you are prepared to start small, here
      > are some initial ideas. Tell me if you agree that these are observed
      > events.
      >DNA is contained in every living cell.
      >DNA is replicated in a
      > parent cell and inherited by a daughter cell.
      >DNA is not always replicated
      > with absolute faithfulness.
      >Therefore, replication sometimes produces
      > alternate versions of a DNA sequence.
      >Therefore, as a population of cells
      > reproduces, the DNA sequences in the population of daughter cells vary from
      > one individual to another.
      >
      > Charles P: I agree that these are observed events.

      OK, then. Let us start with a single cell dividing and reproducing.
      Let us suppose one mutation in one gene as it is replicated.

      Call the daughter cells A and Z. A has exactly the same DNA sequence in this gene as its parent. Z has one difference in the DNA sequence of this gene from its parent cell and its sister cell.

      Suppose this scenario is played out again and again over 20 generations in both the A and the Z lineages.

      How many differences could exist between a 20th generation gene in the A lineage and the same 20th generation gene in the Z lineage?

      >The discussion is
      > supposed to be about natural genetic engineering.

      Well, the ball is in your court on that one. I asked whether you see Shapiro's natural genetic engineering as supportine of natural selection or the reverse.

      I haven't seen you answer yet. Can't have a discussion unless you hold up your end of it.

      > Charles P: Why should we care about whether Moran is right and Axe is
      > wrong?

      For your enlightenment, and that of other readers.

      > Gluadys: That still doesn't explain why you saw it as an appropriate
      > response. My question was about how you relate Shapiro's ideas to natural
      > selection. Axe cannot answer that. Especially when he mentions neither
      > Shapiro nor natural selection. It seems to me you depend too much on the
      > rest of us being mind readers. We need you to explain what is in your mind
      > when you post something. Perhaps you can begin by answering the question
      > above.

      > Message #29,246 explains the nine basic principles of natural genetic
      > engineering.

      So what? You are still not answering my question about natural genetic engineering.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic