Hurricane Housing link

  • Al
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      Subject:
      Emergency housing drive at www.hurricanehousing.org. Pass it on.

      Do you have a spare room, bed or couch to offer a family fleeing
      hurricane Katrina?

      ----------

      Please forward this message to anyone in the Southeast who can help.

      Dear MoveOn member,

      Hurricane Katrina's toll on communities, homes and lives has
      devastated
      the nation. Now victims must face the daunting question of where to
      go
      next—and we can help.

      Tens of thousands of newly homeless families are being bused to a
      stadium in Houston, where they may wait for weeks or months. At least
      80,000 are competing for area shelters, and countless more are in
      motels, cars, or wherever they can stay out of the elements. The
      Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Red Cross are scrambling
      find shelter for the displaced.

      This morning, we've launched an emergency national housing drive to
      connect your empty beds with hurricane victims who desperately need a
      place to wait out the storm. You can post your offer of housing (a
      spare room, extra bed, even a decent couch) and search for available
      housing online at:

      http://www.hurricanehousing.org

      Housing is most urgently needed within reasonable driving distance
      (about 300 miles) of the affected areas in the Southeast, especially
      New Orleans.

      Please forward this message to anyone you know in the region who
      might
      be able to help.

      But no matter where you live, your housing could still make a world
      of
      difference to a person or family in need, so please offer what you
      can.

      The process is simple:

      You can sign up to become a host by posting a description of whatever
      housing you have available, along with contact information. You can
      change or remove your offer at any time.

      Hurricane victims, local and national relief organizations, friends
      and relatives can search the site for housing. We'll do everything we
      can to get your offers where they are needed most. Many shelters
      actually already have Internet access, but folks without 'net access
      can still make use of the site through case workers and family
      members.

      Hurricane victims or relief agencies will contact hosts and together
      decide if it's a good match and make the necessary travel
      arrangements.
      The host's address is not released until a particular match is agreed
      on.

      If hosting doesn't work for you, please consider donating to the Red
      Cross to help with the enormous tasks of rescue and recovery. You can
      give online at:

      http://www.moveon.org/r?r=859

      As progressives, we share a core belief that we are all in this
      together, and today is an important chance to put that idea to work.
      There are thousands of families who have just lost everything and
      need
      a place to stay dry. Let's do what we can to help.

      http://www.hurricanehousing.org

      Thanks for being there when it matters most.

      —Noah Winer and the whole MoveOn.org Civic Action Team
      Thursday, September 1st, 200