Re: [Electronic Device] OLED vs LED

  • poly3hexylthiophene
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2004
      --- In OrganicDevice@yahoogroups.com, Eugen Leitl <eugen@l...> wrote:
      > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:10:16PM -0700, Pedro Farnezi wrote:
      >
      > > I have what's probably a foolish a question, but I've
      > > been unable to get it answered elsewhere. I understand
      > > the arguments for and benefits of small molecule and
      > > polymer OLED technologies for consumer electronics
      > > device displays. What I don't understand is why
      > > conventional LEDs are not practical for the
      > > application. Could anyone shed some light on this (ha
      > > ha) for me?
      >
      > Organic substrates are cheap, can be processed in easy steps with
      lots of
      > parallelism, and are additive in principle (most of semiconductor
      photolitho
      > is subtractive). LED wafers are tiny, expensive, and use unusual
      (for silicon
      > fabbing standards) substrates and processes.

      Well, the point is that you cannot produce cheap, large area inorganic
      LEDs. Organic LEDs can be applied and patterend on large surfaces by
      various techniques.

      > Also, it scales into nanoelectronics range. You can't do that with
      > semiconductor photolitho.

      No? I think it is already there. 60nm is closer to 1nm than it is to
      1um. Self aligning processes with vertical pitches of 30nm and less
      are routinely used, deposition of thin films with thicknesses in the
      range of several nm is common.

      Besides, I do not see the connection between nanoelectronics and
      OLEDs. They do not solve the patterning probleme and self organization
      is not an inherent feature of the materials used in OLEDs.