San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary

  • johnboro13
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2003
      Here are my interesting sightings today from sjws,The sightings took
      place from 12:30pm to 14:30pm.

      Sora,pond D
      Greater Yellowlegs,pond 1
      Western Sandpiper,ponds D,1
      Least Sandpiper,pond 1
      Semipalmated Plover,pond 1(flock of around 20 plus)
      Long-billed Dowitcher,ponds D,1
      Wilson's Phalarope,2A/NB,pond D
      Red-necked Phalarope,5A/NB,pond C
      Caspian Tern,A/JUV pond 1
      Forster's Tern,A/JUV pond 1
      Least Tern,A pond 1
      Cooper's Hawk,JUV 1stY,Flying over pond 1
      Greater Roadrunner,on path near pond C

      Again i did not see the Least Bittern,i hope i see it next time.
      well i hope this helps you guys&girls out.
      John McDonnell,Aliso Viejo.
    • johnboro13
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2003
        Hi everyone here are sightings for 09/13/03 for San Joaquin W.S.

        Cattle Egret,pond 2
        Blue-winged Teal,pond D
        Cinnamon Teal,pond D/E
        Northern Shoveler,pond 1
        Green-winged Teal,pond D/E
        Osprey,2 flying over sanctary.
        White-tailed Kite,
        Peregrine Falcon,on light pole on the 405 on ramp
        Greater Yellowlegs,pond E/1
        Lesser Yellowlegs,pond E
        Spotted Sandpiper,juv pond E
        Whimbrel,pond 1
        Western Sandpiper,pond E/1
        Least Sandpiper,pond E
        Long-billed Dowitcher,pond D/E/1
        Wilson Phalarope,pond E
        Bonaparte's Gull,pond C
        Ringed-billed Gull,pond 1
        Caspian Tern,pond 1
        Belted Kingfisher,pond C
        Orange Bishop,in trees between pond 3/2

        I just missed a virginia rail which was seen in pond D i sat &
        watched the reeds for 45 mins but never saw it.
        JOHN MCDONNELL,ALISO VIEJO.
      • johnboro13
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
          Hi everyone here are my sightings for today 09/27/03

          Eared Grebe, pond C
          White-faced Ibis, pond 3
          Osprey, flying over pond D
          Northern Harrier, pond 3
          Red-tailed Hawk, on radio antenna
          American Kestrel, on radio antenna
          Peregrine Falcon, flying over pond D/E
          Virginia Rail, pond D
          Sora, pond D
          Greater Yellowlegs, pond E
          Lesser Yellowlegs, pond E
          Whimbrel, pond D
          Long-billed Curlew, pond D
          Western Sandpiper, pond E
          Pectoral Sandpiper, pond E
          Long-billed Dowitcher, pond D/E
          Common Snipe, pond E
          Bonaparte's Gull, pond C
          Tree Swallow, pond 1
          Barn Swallow, pond 1/C
          White-crowed Sparrow, pond D
          Western Bluebird, on telephone wire in water plant

          well i hope this helps you guys & girls out.
          JOHN MCDONNELL,ALISO VIEJO
        • dianetrisdale
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
            Dear OrCO Birders:

            My daughter from San Diego and I birded SJWS yesterday for the
            third time since 11-14-03. It is about an hour drive from San
            Pedro on a traffic-free day but well worth the drive. This time my
            non-birding son-in-law went along for the ride and some good
            photo ops.

            Missed out on the Clay-colored Sparrow, Red-throated Pipit and
            the Swamp Sparrow but good looks at other interesting birds.

            If you haven't had up-close-and-personal looks at Wilson's
            Snipes (split from the Eurasian Common Snipe in 2002), this is
            a great opportunity. Most of them were in the low grass on the
            far side of Pond E but there were a couple really close by. What
            a striking bird!

            A week ago there were over 50 American White Pelicans soaring
            low overhead but yesterday only 1. Still a great sight.

            Ducks galore--Buffleheads, Ruddy Ducks, Green-winged Teal, a
            few Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers, Mallards, a few
            striking Northern Pintails, and those stunning Cinnamon Teal.
            Also a thrill to me to see stilts and avocets--lots and lots.

            Pond B had a couple of Great Egrets, one Great Blue Heron, and
            a half dozen each Cattle Egrets and Snowy Egrets. Had not
            seen the Cattle Egrets on previous visits.

            Add to that two Red-tailed Hawks soaring overhead, an Osprey
            doing the same and an American Kestrel diving around, and it
            was another great birding day in southern California.

            On the parking lot, there was a California Towhee attacking the
            rear view mirror on a parked SUV. Territorial or admiring
            himself?

            We birded about an hour and a half right around noon but it was
            overcast and cool so no problem. As before, I was not ready to
            leave--still lots of birding to be done.

            By the way, Joel Weintraub had recommended that I purchase
            "The Birds of Orange County California Status and Distribution"
            by Hamilton and Willick which is available at the Audubon
            House. If you don't have it, consider getting it for your birding
            library. What a help when you are wondering if a particular bird
            is common or just passing through OrCo.

            Of course, you never know--that rare bird might be right around
            the corner!

            Hope to see and talk to you out birding southern California.

            Good Birding!

            Diane Trisdale
            Texan transplanted to OK
            San Pedro, CA, until 1-2004
          • Dave Bell
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
              It was a nice evening at the san Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary today 9/7/10:

              2 Blue-winged Teal on pond C
              1 Least Bittern feeding in the open on SE edge of the island inpond 3 at dusk
              1 Lesser Yellowlegs on Pond C
              1 PECTORAL SANDPIPER continuing bird at SE corner of pond D
              2 BLACK TERN hawking for bugs over Ponds 2 and 3
              2 Wilson's Phalarope flying around pond 3. I didn't see them land.
              2 BANK SWALLOW with the swallow flock over ponds 1 and 2

              I saw no signs of landbird migration, despite some time in the lost trail area.

              Dave Bell
              Newport Beach, CA
            • Alex Viduetsky
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 11, 2010
                Hello birders,

                I visited San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 between
                8:15 AM and 12:15 PM. Here's the list of birds that I observed (uploaded via
                eBird). I think I photographed a Black Tern (immature?) - a photo is viewable
                via the link below the list.
                Correct me, please, if I'm wrong. I'm not sure about a Dowitcher (Short-billed?)
                either. I appreciate all comments and corrections!

                Location: San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary
                Observation date: 9/11/10
                Number of species: 38

                Egyptian Goose 1
                Mallard X
                California Quail 2
                Pied-billed Grebe 3
                American White Pelican 12
                Double-crested Cormorant 10
                Great Blue Heron 4
                Great Egret 3
                Snowy Egret 5
                Green Heron 2
                White-faced Ibis 18
                Osprey 1
                Cooper's Hawk 1
                Red-tailed Hawk 2
                Virginia Rail 1
                Sora 1
                American Coot 2
                Semipalmated Plover X
                Killdeer X
                Black-necked Stilt X
                American Avocet X
                Greater Yellowlegs 1
                Short-billed Dowitcher X
                Black Tern 1
                Forster's Tern 5
                Mourning Dove X
                White-throated Swift 3
                Anna's Hummingbird 4
                Black Phoebe 2
                Cassin's Kingbird 2
                American Crow X
                Northern Rough-winged Swallow 7
                Bushtit X
                California Thrasher 1
                Common Yellowthroat X
                California Towhee 2
                Song Sparrow X
                House Finch X

                Some of my today's photos:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/alikoster/SanJoaquinWildlifeSanctuary#
                or a slide-show:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/alikoster/SanJoaquinWildlifeSanctuary#slideshow/5515872097788315458

                Good birding,
                Alexander Viduetsky
                Valley Village, CA

              • Zachary
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 11, 2010
                  (12/11/10) There was 1 AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN, 1 SNOW GOOSE, 5 BONAPARTE'S GULLS, & 1 WESTERN GULL at Pond 2. A pair of WOOD DUCKS, 1 PEREGRINE FALCON, and a fly-over MERLIN were at Pond 1. Over 20 WHITE-FACED IBIS and 2 fly-over WHIMBREL were at Pond D. 8 GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES and 1 CALIFORNIA THRASHER were in between Ponds 1 & B. A female COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRD was at the Audubon House. Still haven't seen the Vermilion Flycatcher.

                  Happy Birding,
                  Zachary Perry
                  Ladera Ranch
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 11, 2011
                    All,

                    There were two Pectoral Sandpipers and one Solitary Sandpiper at Pond C for a short time this morning, and not much else at all.

                    Dave Furseth
                    Murrieta, CA
                  • Bob Allen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2013
                      Greetings and happy new year!

                      Am having a relaxing time birding at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary right now. Plenty of birds to see and hear.

                      Someone recently asked me where they can find cedar waxwings in OC. There are dozens of them in trees that surround the Duck Club right now. Spread the word.

                      Bob Allen
                      bugbob@...
                      www.boballenphotography.com
                      Sent from my iPhone 4S
                    • Trish
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 19, 2013
                        Speaking of Willow Flycatchers..
                        I sent a question for ID help, and a flickr link to Robert of some poor quality images, and he replied it looked good for a Willow.
                        I had this bird at the end of the lost trail, in the willows between the Lost trail and Shady lane trail at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this morning. I only saw it briefly, and didn't hear any vocalizations. My Flycatcher pics are super cropped and not very good quality, but it's all I managed.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/trishrg/
                        It was very "birdy" along the Shady, and Lost trails in the Willows, but the rest of the marsh was quite slow. I had 4 Yellow-breasted Chat spread around my walk, a few Tri-colored Blackbirds, and a very distant Yellowlegs in pond C, and not much else of note.

                        Trish Gussler
                        Anaheim
                      • Trish G
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6 7:40 AM

                          2 pectoral sandpaper pond c right now Wilsons snipe in pond d . Had a flyover male yellow headed blackbird

                          Trish gussler Anaheim

                        • Wendy Miller
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 10 6:42 PM
                            This morning, October 10, 2013, I visited SJWS to see if I could find any interesting shore birds.  I did not see any pectoral sandpipers or snipes, but there was one red-necked phalarope in Pond D.  There was also a western meadowlark on the edge of Pond D.  Another pleasant surprise was a female blue grosbeak in a tree on the path between Pond A and Pond 1.  It was great birding weather!  Links to my pictures are below:

                            On the way home, I also saw a female belted kingfisher coughing up a pellet near Sunset Aquatic Marina at the end of Edinger in Huntington Beach.   I had no idea that kingfishers did that!

                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/wemesq/10198549635/

                            Wendy Miller
                            Huntington Beach
                          • Christiane Shannon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 3 3:26 PM
                              Hi all,

                              This morning, Jan Gaffney and I saw the continuing female Yellow-headed Blackbird, a least twice. She was hanging about in the tall bushes/trees of Pond E, alongside the large dirt path as we began our walk.

                              Later on, on the island in Pond 2 , of notice were 3 Greater White-fronted Geese and an American Pipit.

                              Christiane Shannon
                            • Trish G
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 19
                                This morning I spent about 3 hours at the marsh.
                                There were many people looking for Solitary Sandpipers, but to my knowledge, nobody found one. They are filling pond E this morning.
                                In pond D, there was a Wilson's Snipe walking around out in the open this morning, giving nice views. Pond D remains the same, and Pond C is still shaping up nicely, and hopefully they will continue letting it dry out for a bit longer, to provide good shorebird habitat.
                                There are baby Western Grebes riding on adults on Pond 1, and at least 1 very young Clark's Grebe in pond 2.

                                Trish Gussler, Anaheim