Left the county to add to my list

  • Rick Shearer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 8:05 AM
      Hi, I've had quite a few walks around SJWS lately and I was happy to
      spot some Blue Grosbeaks and an orange Orange Bishop and some happily
      singing Yellow Breasted Chats, but they were already checked off on my
      list. Yesterday my daughter and I went to the Mount Baldy area and
      hiked up Ice House Canyon trail to the saddle. Boy was it hot! I
      recommend you go early if you try this, and know that you have to have
      forest service parking pass and wilderness pass if you do. But here's
      what I added to my list:

      Mountain Chicadee, Pygmy Nuthatch, Brown Creeper, Dusky Flycatcher,
      and two beauties, a fantastic Clark's Nutcracker and a beautiful
      Williamson Sapsucker. The sapsucker was the hardest to ID. First of
      all I had no camera which I usually carry. And no book. But I did
      take my binocs, and I was fortunate that he stayed in one area with
      good light for a long time so I could memorize the color scheme, black
      back, white and gold markings. I just couldn't see under his chin
      which the book shows is red. On the way out we stopped again at the
      ranger station and I bought their High Country Birds checklist and
      went home to rest my feet and look at bird books. After checking
      Sibley's, Petersons and Geographic I'm pretty sure I got it right.

      Of coure the place was also loaded with Stellar's Jays and Spotted
      Towhees, and also saw a Scrub Jay, Robin, Anna's Hummingbirds, lady
      bugs, butterflies of all kinds, squirrels, chipmunks, and man-eating
      black flies. Didn't see any mountain goats. I hear you can if you
      get their early enough.

      Rick Shearer
      Fountain Valley