Oak Canyon NC

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2003
      My daughter, age 10.5, and I birded Oak Canyon Nature Center between 1 -
      2:30 pm. Ostensibly, we were going for a hike and she just might use her
      binocs (10x25). Turns out she hadn't gotten the hang of adjusting them
      properly - and once we spent five minutes going over the basics, she was
      just thrilled! The first bird she looked at through the adjusted binocs
      was a male Wood Duck on a branch over a small stream, preening itself and
      she was hooked. She couldn't get over how beautiful a Wood Duck is, and I
      showed her the female sunning itself nearby with its white eye markings.
      She got so that she found two birds on her own and guided me to them, and
      now plans to take the binocs on future walks. Couldn't ask for a better
      Mother's Day gift! Here's what we managed to see at midday:

      two male & one female Wood Ducks
      a flock of Western Tanagers
      Western Kingbird
      several Scrub Jays, including two fighting over a nut
      Acorn Woodpeckers
      House Wren - the faintly spotted tail, size, beak, body are HW but the
      breast was a soft gold. It was hollering for Mama who came over to see
      what was going on. Her underside was the usual greyish white. Later, as
      we exited, I believe there was one taking a dust bath in the trail next
      to the entrance, very dusty portion.
      Female Anna's Hummingbird
      I saw a Titmouse of some kind, with its crest, but not long enough to ID
      the kind of Titmouse.
      American Crows
      Turkey Vultures
      Mourning Doves
      Black Phoebes

      On the way home, saw Great Egret and Red Tailed Hawk flying overhead.

      Good birding and a good Mother's Day to the mothers on the list!

      Sue Jorgenson
      East Anaheim CA

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!