Which Sparrow?

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2003
      I had the pleasure of hiking Telegraph Trail earlier this morning at
      Carbon Canyon Regional Park. I saw a sparrow with distinctive head marks
      that could place it as either Song or White Crowned - but what is
      stumping me is the breast. A little below the markings it was a
      yellow-buff breast in the sunlight (and this is well after dawn so no
      golden glow from the rising sun). What did I see?

      Also, is there a possibility of Lincoln's Sparrow at CCRP?

      In addition to the above, I enjoyed watching:

      Scrub Jays
      Spotted Towhees
      CA Towhees
      Blue Gray or CA Gnatcatchers (in a flock, sun was at an awkward angle,
      more likely CA)
      Lesser Goldfinches in a territorial battle
      Black Headed Grosbeaks
      Orange Crowned Warbler in the underbrush - ID by body not head, dull
      olive-grey upper body, muted gold underside. Wouldn't oblige with full
      frontal. :-)
      Black Phoebes
      Mourning Doves

      and, of course, the pleasure of being away from the madding crowd in
      solitude, with rabbits and squirrels.

      Sue Jorgenson
      East Anaheim CA

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!