Costco & Guide

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Joel & Group:

      The stock number for the western Sibley guide is #654321, $11.99. Full
      title is The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America, white
      cover, grey and orange bird - no one at Costco is a birder to my
      knowledge. So they are not going to know or care that the cover's bird is
      a Varied Thrush. :-)

      I mention this because the Yorba Linda Costco on Old Canal Rd. explained
      to me that not all Costcos carry the same book - the law of supply and
      demand is in full effect. They did not have it on the floor so we looked
      it up on the computer under "Sibley" - there is an Audubon version, there
      was the Guide, and there is something else, all under Sibley's name.
      Turns out they had 72 copies in stock of the Audubon version. I told them
      I would wait - for a half hour? Yes. They dragged out all the Audubon and
      Sibley copies, thinking I wanted the Audubon copy. Hence the stock number
      for the Costcos that may not have it on the floor just yet.

      Donna at Costco, who was of such help, explained that the two previous
      Sibley items were deleted due to lack of demand. I would hate to see that
      happen to the Sibley guide, it is such a good price (list price is $19.95
      in bookstores) and a handily portable guide.

      Good birding,

      Sue Jorgenson
      East Anaheim CA

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • MSilverSC@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        To All,
        I purchased the Sibley "Western" book yesterday at the Dana Pt. Costco. There
        were quite a few on hand, but they are behind the Audubon bird guide. I moved
        some up front. No Sibley Eastern bird guides.
        Regards, mark