Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Northern Waterthrush

  • DW Emory
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      Both the Northern and Louisiana Waterthrushes are occasional visitors to
      Southern Cal, but the Northern is more frequent. Since thea Whitish adult
      Northern is almost indistinguishable from a Louisiana, how certain are you
      of your identification? The most visible distinction is that the Louisiana
      has brighter pink legs.
      At 10:20 PM 4/30/03 +0000, krpickard wrote:
      >Birded San Joachim WS this morning and was surprised to see a
      >Northern Waterthrush along the stream. I saw it bobbing along on the
      >shore opposite the road, about 75 yards downstream from the entrance
      >to the parking area at the Sea & Sage headquarters building. It was
      >a familiar bird for me, as I have just moved here from Indiana. Does
      >anyone know how often this bird is seen in CA?
      >
      >Kevin Pickard
      >Midway City
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups
      >Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=
      >1705043987:HM/A=1555962/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?1800
      >flowers2+shopping:dmad/M=232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=17050
      >43987:HM/A=1555962/R=1/1051745994+http>
      >
      >To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the
      >archives at:
      >/group/OrangeCountyBirding/

      Dan Emory
      Newport Beach, CA 92663
      949-722-8971
      danemory@...
    • oc2888
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
        Monday,

        I visited Mason Regional Park and was able to photograph an uncooperative Northern Waterthrush at the previously described location. Since there was not a photo on this site, I uploaded an image in the Wood Warblers folder.

        Later in the day I visited San Joaquin Sanctuary and encountered a pair of very photographer friendly Sora on the north-west side (facing Pond C) of Pond D.

        Richard Thunen
        Newport Beach
      • donhoechlin
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2012
          Present today at Shipley NC at 8:30 was the No Waterthrush. Ask Carol for directions. Don Hoechlin , Hunt Bch
        • Lena Hayashi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2014

            A Northern Waterthrush was seen in Shipley Nature Center. It was spotted by Dave Evans during a Sylvia Gallagher Learning CA Bird Sounds class.  This was at 9:00am.  Location:  from the Demonstration  Garden, take the trail west toward the Kiisha.  As the trail turns, don't go over the Freeman Creek bridge.  Instead, take the trail right, hugging the mule fat on your right.  Continue to the end of the trail to water's edge.  There is a long fallen tree trunk straight out from the trail, in the water. The bird was seen about 15 ft out along and around that trunk with a lot of branches and vegetation hanging over the fallen trunk.

            Lena Yee Hayashi
            Huntington Beach
          • racitup2002
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25, 2014
              I was able to find the waterthrush this morning at Santiago Creek Park. I first saw it a little upstream from the cement culvert feeding close to the north side of the channel. It moved upstream, stopping and feeding until the water ran out, upon which it returned to the culvert. The waterthrush seemed very comfortable in its surroundings.

              Sandy Remley
              Big Bear Lake
            • rogerschoedl
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2014

                An unexpected surprise, I heard then briefly saw a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH as I went through Huntington Central Park this morning. It was making a sharp, emphatic "spwik" call unlike the metallic "chink" calls of the wintering bird. It was in the bushes on the south side of the Crescent Pond just west of where the path goes under overarching willows. (To find the pond go south from the Slater parking lot over the 1st bridge follow the path right and the pond is on the left side behind the vegetation.) I later ran into Steve Sosensky at San Joaquin Marsh who mentioned he and Bruce Aird had a Waterthrush recently in the slough along the north side of the big grassy area a few hundred feet from where I saw it today. I presume the wintering bird is still present.

                I checked Talbert Lake Thursday night, Friday night and this morning  for the Solitary Sandpiper I reported on Wednesday but no luck. It appears to have been a one day wonder. The Lesser Yellowlegs was still present.

                Roger Schoedl

                Huntington Beach