Carbon Canyon

  • kingbird58
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2003
      Go to Carbon Canyon! It's beautiful. Hillsides covered in mustard,
      wildflowers, green, green grass, blue skies, birdsong filling the air
      and not very many people.

      Birds seen:

      Pacific Slope Flycatchers 5-6
      Dark Headed Juncos
      American Goldfinches- a flock!
      Spotted Towhees
      Wilson's Warbler
      3-4 Bullock's Orioles-near the lake, very approachable.
      Hooded Oriole-near tennis courts, not so approachable.
      Violet Green Swallows- over lake.
      Barn Swallows
      Tree Swallows
      Coopers Hawk
      Red Tailed Hawks
      American Robin
      Downy Woodpecker
      Ruby Crowned Kinglets
      Western Bluebirds
      House Wrens
      Bewick Wrens
      Yellowthroats
      and the ubiquitous Yellow Rumps.

      Jeff Keen
      Santa Ana
    • Lilith Mageborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2003
        I birded Carbon Canyon Regional Park on the far western end, going behind
        the now-dirt-parking lot onto a trail, surrounded by yarrow and thistles
        towering over my head, and when I returned to the grassy area I saw more
        birds. Here are the highlights, seen between 10:30-11:30 am.

        Trail:
        Yellow-Breasted Chat
        Black-headed Grosbeak
        Black-Chinned Hummingbird
        possibly Pacific Slope Flycatcher

        Grass, sycamores:
        American Robin
        Western Bluebird carrying food to nesting box
        Nuttall's Woodpecker
        Bullock's Oriole

        the latter two in the same tree!

        Also went over to Riverdale Park around 4 pm this afternoon with the dog
        and was pleased to see two male and one female Western Tanagers on the
        western and northern ends of the park near the treetops. They've been
        bulldozing the riverbed again so only saw a couple Black Necked Stilts
        and American Avocets in addition to White Throated Swifts, Black Phoebes,
        Mallards and TVs.

        Sue Jorgenson
        East Anaheim CA

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!