Ospreys & Cedar Waxwings

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2003
      Today was a day of very mixed emotions. I was down at the bike trail by
      the Santa Ana River (behind Riverdale Park) and the winds were gusting up
      to 40 mph. Three ospreys were being buffeted about by the wind gusts but
      - considering I'd forgotten my binocs! - I got a spectacular view of
      their underwings and their faces. I was thrilled, to say the least. Also
      saw about 25 American Avocets in summer plumage, Black Necked Stilts,
      some mallards, what looked to be sanderlings (but no binocs, darn it),
      black phoebes and white throated swifts.

      On the downside, though, we have discovered evidence of a rat inside the
      furnace closet, and it looks as if my bird feeders out back may have to
      go - birdseed gets scattered on the ground and apparently attracts rats.
      I'll ask the vector people about this on Monday, but any evidence from
      you all? Have you had problems with rodents because of bird feeders? It
      is not my house so I have to abide by that. Which just kills me because
      we have a family of California Towhees in our trees and they are quite
      used to my presence, in addition to finches, sparrows and doves. I am
      going to intensify planting bird-friendly plants to attract birds...

      Back to the upside - ten days ago I was test driving my car up Carbon
      Canyon road and stopped by the regional park with the dog to see what was
      going on bird-wise. Near the end of the walk, where there are pepper
      trees and pines by the far end of the parking lot, I was delighted to
      find a flock of Cedar Waxwings! My guesstimate is about 30 or 40 and they
      were fluttering and swooping in formation from tree to tree.

      Sue Jorgenson
      East Anaheim

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com