FW: [OrangeCountyBirding] Northern Waterthrush

  • Willick, Doug
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2014

      Honestly, I do not live at Santiago Park, but yes, I was also there again today (sorry I missed you, Sandy, but dropped by later in the day).  I just happen to work about a half block from the “Nature Reserve” portion of the park, so is very convenient for getting away from the office for a little bit.  Anyway, I’ve noticed that the waterthrush seems to be increasing its range up and downstream (it was further upstream this afternoon, directly out from the visitor center).  The bird can basically be anywhere there’s surface flow in the creek bottom (which has usually only been about a 100 to 200 yard stretch this winter).  This afternoon the bird was apparently flushed by something, when it flew up into a toyon, calling, at the top of the bank, where I just happened to be standing at the time. This was about 30’ out—towards the creek—from the south side of the visitor center; the waterthrush then just sat there quietly, partially concealed in the toyon, for at least 5 minutes.

      The Summer Tanager remains in the park as well.  This afternoon it was in trees (sycamores and/or eucalyptus) just east of the Santiago Street (pedestrian) bridge.  It called here for several minutes, but I never was able to get a bead on it.

      Doug Willick

      Orange, CA