Bommer Canyon 3/22

  • rogerschoedl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2014

      I spent a few hours today in Bommer Canyon.

      I had a VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW at the pond along Shady Canyon Trail just south of the turn-in to Bommer Canyon from Shady Canyon Drive. It was mixed in with a large flock of Northern Rough-wingeds and would occasionally perch on a sycamore along the trail.

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/13340559343/

      On a minor note I came across a group of Juncos one of which had a pale gray hood, black lores, very extensive and strong pinkish on the undersides. The juncos were a bit far to view well but the throat looked a shade paler than the rest of the hood too. Looks good for a PINK-SIDED DARK-EYED JUNCO. The junco flock was foraging on the west edge of the big dirt parking lot at the picnic grounds near the park ranger's building. Some mediocre cropped pics:

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/13340859884/

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/13340485895/

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/110988414@N04/13340864634/

      Roger Schoedl