Canyon wren - Coal Canyon

  • Ryan Winkleman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2014
      My friend and I hiked up Coal Canyon this morning to see if we could find any of the notable birds that Tom Benson had last March (namely, Bell's sparrow). We did not find any Bell's sparrows or black-chinned sparrows, but at the top of our hike we were surprised to hear a distant canyon wren singing. We followed up the trail further until we found the bird, sitting in a big patch of chaparral near a clump of cypress trees, singing its heart out. The rough coordinates of where the bird was located are 33.844878, -117.684181. This is mapped in Google as approximately 4.3 miles from the parking area, so it's a long way in and uphill the whole way. We also had cactus wren in the big prickly pear patches along the way.

      To summarize the directions, exit the 91 at Green River, head toward the golf course, and park in the dirt lot for the Santa Ana River Trail (or park along the street a little further down the hill). Follow the trail a little over a mile to where it crosses under the 91; cross under and stick to your right to head up the hillside. I don't know how easy it will be to find this bird again, as it seems a bit out of place there.

      Here are a couple videos and a couple photos. All a bit distant but clearly discernible as canyon wren.

      Ryan Winkleman
      RSM